Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHY is my flexplate the weak link in my drive train???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Sep 24, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

this is the second one that is cracking! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif it makes a loud noise when i accelerate a lil harder than it would like. would a beefy heavier flexplate from summit or B&M or CSI fix it? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

When I THOUGHT mine was cracked and I was freaking out (was loose bellhousing), Mike Blake related that he broke his allthe time untill hew went to a drag race one, no problems so far. He's not to easy on his truck either... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. muddysub

i know it's cracking, i recognize the sound of it. and the fact that my mom (previous owner) bought a $35 cheapo flex plate from autozone probably didn't help either. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the TCI flexplate, it is .035 thicker than stock, but there $70....at Summit Racing...

5. muddysub

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    , but there $70....at Summit Racing...

[/ QUOTE ] at this point i don't care about money. i just wanna be able to accelerate with out worrying about fragging the flexplate. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif thanks i'll check out TCI.

6. FWP

FWP CRS

What's the condition of the tranny? Maybe the front bushings are worn? Maybe the torque converter itself has a balance problem. Motor- rear main bearings?, bent crank?

Just a few random thoughts on what might crack a flexplate, other than old age.......

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Summit has their house brand SFI approved flex plates for around $55. I just recently bought one to bolt to the 454 in the garage. I think that all of the SFI approved models are .035 thicker than stock. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif (It's real purdy too! It's a nice irridescent gold cad plated one.) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. muddysub

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What's the condition of the tranny? Maybe the front bushings are worn? Maybe the torque converter itself has a balance problem. Motor- rear main bearings?, bent crank?

[/ QUOTE ] the tranny has like 40,000mi on it, torque converter: maybe, motor bent crank: I WISH!! i could put it in a shop and have it all checked out i guess.

9. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Remember it happened after the mud pit Scott. I'd say it cracked from all the stress.

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

MMMMMMMMM, MUD!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif make parts go KABLEWIE!!!
    Are you running an inspection cover?

11. muddysub

yeah it started making noise when i had it floored for 2-3 min straight. and yes i have a cover on it. that's what it's hitting and making noise.

12. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

make your own out of a peice of heavy duty steel, just a thought, probly what i would do, i had to do that with a skid plate, hell i broke the rear vent extension tube ( the steel tube part) off my rear diff yesterday, dont ask why or how, but i managed to fix it with a peice of small steel brake line and some electrical tape, blue rtv, and a hose clamp, that was the gayest thing i could of done that day, and i felt so stupid. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

This is a flexplate. Making one of these bad boys and getting it trued and balanced in your home garage would be a pretty impressive feat! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

[​IMG]

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I had one from PepGirls for about a week before it cracked on me.... Put in one from Napa and it's held up for the last 3 1/2 years and still going strong (you know now that I said this I'm going to brake it, FLOL.....). Pepgirls and Autozonies are the same kind of stuff.... $hit!

15. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I would defintely run a stronger and/or thicker one.

16. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i ment make a HD inspection plate, i thought you were talking about the inspection plate, im a dumb ass, my bad, if your gunna get one and use the truck hard, get a good one. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

17. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like excessive crank end play. Also the torque converter could have "ballooned up". I had to replace the
    torque converter on mine due to that. The damn thing actually swelled up, happens in rigs that pull a lot of weight. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

18. mitymouse

mitymouse Registered Member

I would go with the sfi they are twice as strong as stock and four times stronger then a cheapy aftermarket

19. muddysub

okay what would a heavier one do to the sub? summit claims quicker launch times, and that's important to all of us don't you know. i can't tell you how many races i've lost because i didn't get the wholeshot. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif