Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is my steering wheel in the wrong position now?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevyracing, Dec 3, 2001.

1. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Went wheelin' the other day and the steering wheel has always been so the bar is straight across on my 72. Now it is up and down. The truck still drives fine, doesn't pull, shimmy, shake, steers fine, doesn't rattle, and I can't see anything cracked, tweeked, bent, or broke. Is it possible for the steering box to skip a tooth? My steering box has always been good and snug with very very little free play. I have never seen anything like this before. I have power steering so I don't think I stripped out the splines on the wheel. This is bugging me to death. Any suggestions?

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Something had to have moved? I would start by checking the center pin on the driver side. You could have sheared it off and just the u-bolts are holding the axle. After that you got me.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

I posted this the other day - one of my syptoms was a mis-aligned steering wheel - but like you - no shake shimmey or other "driving" problems:

I had replaced the drag link on my '72 - but still had clunking when turning especially low speed parking lot stuff - and occasionally the steering wheel would be off-centered. I read in a previous post that the axle might be moving - between tightening these axle u-bolt nuts and the steering box bolts (I had previously drilled out the steering box and attached it with grade 8 bolts and nuts) I have the steering feeling much better and the wondering and noise seem to be gone. I still need some new front spring bushings as the spring moves to he rear when I turn the wheel. This should keep me on hte road until I can throw some money at some new parts - (i.e. steering box, power sterring hoses).

Good luck

'72 Blazer mostly stock original "Baby Poop" yellow color

4. frito

frito Registered Member

yeah i had the problem of my axle on the drivers side sliding back and forth due to a few reasons, first off the ubolts were not tight enuff and my leaf springs were sliding between the top leaf and the rest of them , and my steering gearbox leaks so it was all lubed up from the ps fluid. i fixed it by simply tighting the u-bolts down realy good. my truck would clunk when i turned the wheel at a stand still and the wheel would go sideways like yours but would drive normal otherwise... that is untill it got realy bad then anytime i would turn right after i turned left the axle would move and my steering would change while i was moving! (very dangerous =) and visa versa thats what prompted me to fix the problem =) also i had a worn out drag link ball joint before that and that just caused about 1/3 turn in the wheel of play from left to right
    good luck!

5. chevyracing

Hello all,
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will check the center pin for sure. I rolled my 69 Blazer because the center pin broke and moved the drivers side tire back into the wheelwell and put me sideways on a gravel road. I did not even think about that since these springs and bolts are brand new.. I had the front end up in the air a couple of times so it could have sheared the pin off. I will check that today.

John

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Here's a BTDT story....I was wheelin' in my '72 and afterwards (when I got back to driving on pavement) the steering wheel was crooked too....not off by 90-degrees like yours....but still off (maybe 30 degrees)

It was puzzling me until I eventually figured out that, although I had unlocked the front hubs and moved the transfer case lever to 2-Hi....it hadn't actually shifted out of 4-Hi (I didn't move it far enough)....so I was turning the front driveshaft the whole time!!!

Once I got the xfer case into 2Hi for real....the steering wheel went back to normal....I guess having that driveshaft spinning is enough to create a slight pull to one side....?

Anyway, that's an experience that I had that seemed similar enough to share....in case it helps.

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

7. chevyracing

I unlocked my hubs and drove around in 2WD for a while and it still did it.
    I also checked my center pins this morning and they are perfect, all bolts are still tight. Guess I will pull the steering wheel and put it on straight again and hope for the best. My last guess is maybe the pitman arm skipped a couple of teeth. I have tomorrow off so I guess I will pull the pitman arm and see if it moved or what.

John

8. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The pitman arm can't skip any teeth because there are only a few teeth and a recess for the pinch bolt (if the pitman arm slips, the pinch bolt is gone). Check the rag joint and the steering box itself. This scares me because something in the steering is obviously messed up and you could end up doing another ditch routine...

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I agree with greg on the transfer case. mine didnt quite disengage when i first bought mine. It kept pullin to the left, and the steering wheel stayed cocked to the side. i was playing with it and took it out and slammed it back in and it quit.
    69K5