Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is my truck 1" lower on one side AFTER new front leafs??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FreedomIsntFree, Sep 16, 2005.

1. FreedomIsntFree

FreedomIsntFree 1/2 ton status

I installed a rough country 4" kit with leafs in the front and blocks in the back. The truck sits low in the rear so I thought I could just add a zero rate add a leaf block and even it out.

But today I noticed the front looked uneven too so I measured it. The top of the headlight measures a full 1 inch lower on the drivers side. The truck is old, but i'm sure the body mounts wouldn't have a full inch of play.

Any ideas or suggestions??

I'm the kinda person where stuff has to be even and this is really bothering me!!!

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Switch the leaves left-to-right. I know it's a major PITA, but it will prolly do it.

Before I lifted my '74, I didn't measure, but she was fairly level left-to-right. After the lift, she listed something fierce.

Took the (rear, in this case) springs off, and measured ... I had two sets, and they were all four different heights unloaded, 1/4"+ between each :what: :dunno:

I hadn't marked the left and right, so they may have gotten switched when I did the lift (shackle flip, reusing the same springs.)

Anyway, point being that springs differ slightly as do trucks ... and switching them, while time consuming, should do it.

-- A

3. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

did you tighten the leaf spring bolts(ends) while the truck was in the air or with the vehicle weight on the springs? You could have preloaded the bushings.