Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is my truck not starting?--FIXED--everyone needs to see this.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Feb 12, 2004.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

FYI-
    new battery
    checked alt.--good
    new starter

i have push button start

it is kinda hard to explain but ill try my best.

with the key in the off position i can still turn the motor w/ the starter (purposly) and it turns fine.

as soon as I put the ignition on i get a really loud CCCRRRAAANNNKKK at the flywheel, and the starter turns a little bit and again with the CCCRRRAAAANNNKKKK repeadatly. (apparently the trucks do it when thebattery is real low.) but i havea new batt and it still does it.

i checked the old batttery first (guy said it was good but had a low charge)

i charged it up and it went away for one start.

drove it around, got home turned it off, wouldnt start again. checked the batt. it was low

assuming it could be the alt i have it checked.--it's good.

starter is new BUT--

as soon as i put the auto in it has done this (never before) i checked for any pinched wires--none.

it is a 168 tooth flywheel. I am under the assumption that there are 2 flywheels (external and internal balanced) do i have the wrong one (but every once in a while it will start fine, no real pattern, just when ever she feels like it.)(but with the ignition off the starter turns just fine.)

I, as well as a few of my friends, are COMPLETLY DUMBFOUNDED.

i need to fix this ASAP as i have a wheelin trip next weekend.

any help would be GREAATLY appreciated.

FIXED /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

If you ever have this problem stated above check this out.

it feels like no matter how you shim it it never really wants to catch. get a remote starter and bump it from the outside and watch the starter.

IF IT MOVES (which it should never move)try this

you know on the back of the starter it has this stud. I usuallyu think to my self
    "self, what is this used for?"
    well aparently back in the day most of our trucks came witha bracket connecting the back of the starter to the side of the block to hold the starter in place.

this cured all my problems, so if your in a junk yard beck the backs of starters and if they have this (looks like bent angle iron) bracket then pick it up.

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Re: Why is my truck not starting????

u amy need to shim the starter , sounds like it is too close to the flexplate/flywheel . take off the torque convertor cover and inspect the teeth . /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. SCOOBYDANNN

tried shimming it and it still did it,

felxplate is new. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it's turning over fine with the ignition off but not when it's on you can count out the starter and flywheel. Start looking at stuff you've done since the problem occured. You say it's since you put the tranny in. Check you have tightened the earth straps and have not created a short on the ignition circuit somehow(wrong connection?) But as it goes ok sometimes, It sounds more like a bad earth to me. Good luck!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. wolfy87

wolfy87 Registered Member

Check all your grounds, and your main negative battery cable in particular wherever its grounded to. Make sure that connection is good and clean and its fastened on tight. Chased mine around for months like that one time and turns out the neg battery cable was just loose at its ground. Tightened the bolt and it was good to go.

6. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Try unhooking the + to your distrubtor, turn ign on and try to crank.

7. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

timing way off willreally hurt cranking, i've broken 8 starters that way(kick back, broke nosecone)

8. SCOOBYDANNN

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That support bracket can be bought at GM dealers too.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

Ask for a taxi cab starter, I was having problems with the starter not turning over my high compression motor, Some old backyard mechanic guru told me about the taxi cab starter, it is all steel, no aluminum nose cone, and resists heat if ya got headers, it was only 80 bucks and came with a 2 yr waranty. Got it at a local parts house, tried napa, O reilys, autozone, and no one seems to know what they are. I can look at the part number if anyone is interested.