Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is my Tuff Country EZ ride suspension so stiff?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Todd78/87, Oct 20, 2000.

1. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I bought TC's 3" front, 4" rear springs with 6 of their Nitro 8000 series shocks,, ( duals in front ) Anyway,, something is terrible wrong. It's one rough riding SOB. All I can think of is either their shocks suck or they sent me the wrong ones. Maybe just the wrong size? I don't know. Anyone running TC's shocks? Do you need a pic of my shocks to see if they are to long or something and don't have room enough to travel? They look like they do.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haines,Alaska

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Something must really be wrong ! Just about everyone here say's that TC springs are the smothest riding
    springs from a mass marketer. Are you sure that they are TC ?
    Try removing the shockes from the lower mount, and go for a safe test drive.
    Good luck

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Try taking off one shock on each front corner and see how it rides. The shocks may not be the right ones for dual shocks. The 4" rear springs have more of an arch to them also. Any reason you didn't do a rear shackle flip?

Shawn
    87 K5
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Executioner must be a faster typer! Only a secretary can type faster than me... hmmm... I wonder...

Shawn
    87 K5
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

5. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Could it be the dual shock setup on the front?

6. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Could it be the dual shock setup on the front?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, but I bet your secretary can spell! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I don't know where I heard this [​IMG] but try running single shocks up front.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

9. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I was going to take one shock off each side of the front,, I'm sure that will make some difference,, but I know it wont make it "right" the rear is pretty stiff also,,, but yes, more on the front with the duals. I didn't do the rear shackle flip cuz the springs that were on it when i bought it looked home made and were HUGE! There were 11 leaves stacked up on the rear and 9 in the front. Now that was ROUGH!,,, but it sure isn't much better now.
    Something is really wrong here.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haines,Alaska

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Make sure you didn't over-tighten the bolts that hold the springs to the frame brackets and shackles. If they are too tight, they can cause the bushings to bind and not allow the springs the flex. When I bought the lift for mine, I talked with a guy at the local 4x4 shop and that was the first words of advice he gave me. He said that he has had several people come to him complaining about rough rides, and he found that they had tightened the %&*( out of the bolts.
    Also, are the "nitro" shocks the so-called heavy duty and gas charged version....if so they could contribute to the rough ride, especially the duals in front. If the springs and shocks are properly matched, you shouldn't need really stiff shocks, and gas charged shocks are usually stiff.

11. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 6.2,,,,,, That could be part of the problem... maybe they springs aren't being able to pivot on the hangers... cuz it sure feels like I'm riding on solid blocks... I'll give that a shot. As far as the shocks,, I dont' remember,,, I don't have a 4x4 mag around right now to look at their add... Can someone check that out for me? They have a full page add in just about any 4x4 mag.

TIA

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haines,Alaska

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Did you grease the bushings before you put them on? That would probably make it ride a lot stiffer.

90K5

13. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Yeah,,, I greased them,,,,

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! I just noticed I'm an Addict!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh HELP ME FELLOW K5'ERS,,, I'm ADDICTED!!

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haines,Alaska

14. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You got me, I can not spell worht a dam. But I do know when I see a statement, I can usally tell if it
    is not a FACT>

15. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

I would agree with what 6.2Blazer said about possibly having overtightened the spring eye bolts. You should be able to tell just by looking at how much the outer edges of the bushing have deformed. If any of them appear to be bulging out (assuming these are all new) you may have found your problem. Another thing you could do is have someone drive your truck up and down over a decent sized curb or anything that would cause some flex while you watch the shackles for movement...

Hope that helps,

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

16. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I just ran to a auto shop to pick up some break lines for my bother's truck. I had never been in this place before,, I saw a TC Susp. Poster on the wall and said "Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,, check this out,,, etc..." He said there is no way, they are not pivoting in the pivot points,,, there is so much stress there, that if they weren't moving, I'd be breaking stuff. So,,,,, I'm still gonna check it out.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haines,Alaska