Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is New England liberal?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Nov 3, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Last I checked it was more white collar in those parts...thus one would think right wing. Votes say otherwise.....why?

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

They were hurt the worst by terrorist attacks. Good question. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Inherited money is all I can think. Didn't work for it what do they care? The nearest city to me is really liberal and wealthy.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I would say it's the cities and un-earned money. Kerry won a lot of metropolitan areas, condensed areas where the people are more likely to conform thier thinking, and more likely to become inter-dependent, thus the liberalism and mental need to depend on others; where government's expected to take care of you more than it would be in non-urban areas with more spread out population, where people tend to be more independent and self-reliant.

A lot of commuters voted Bush, but they commute to the city, thier residence and polling places are more suburban than the city. More poor people live in the city where they can more easily be poor and find handouts. Your polling place goes by where you live, so it gives the impression that most of the people in the cities are conformed and socialized. More people=more handouts.
    I consider myself to have just as much right and be as much a contributor to the city as anyone who lives there, except for the government programs. My state taxes support it, my lunch money moves the local economy of it, and I do a job that serves the city. I'm far from conformed to the typical NYC resident's thinking, though. I have a stake and make a contribtion to the city, but my vote only counts in my county.

Over-over-over simplification, but one theory.

5. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why is New England liberal?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why, gerrymandering of course. In Mass, anyway.
    Fair? No.
    Legal? Yup.
    As sled_dog and newyorkin pointed out, large urban areas lean democratic and liberal. The congressional districts are divided in such a way as to have an urban area in each district to drown out the political voice of the surrounding communities. Areas can also be districted in such a way as to divide a community in half, therefore snuffing out any influence it may have had. Probably why we have 10 democratic reps in this state.
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I think the inherited money thing is way overstated. Very few people have inherited money in this state.

Everyone here is educated. Even the girl who is the receptionist at the front desk of my work has a college degree. I have a masters in engineering and am considering taking some more classes at night so I can have an advantage.

Very few people in my area do not have some form of education beyond high school.

This is not including minorities of course, they don't even finish junior high. That's not racisim, just the truth. Unfortunately the truth gets mistaken for racisim a lot around here.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Everyone here is educated. Even the girl who is the receptionist at the front desk of my work has a college degree. I have a masters in engineering and am considering taking some more classes at night so I can have an advantage.

Very few people in my area do not have some form of education beyond high school.

[/ QUOTE ]

This kills me. Everyone always calls the Republicans the party of the, "Rich" and you post this up, yet they're all a bunch of liberals....

8. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I had a trip for work out to Albany last week. It was pretty interesting. There was a true fear of Kerry from the people I talked to. They all thought because we were from Mass that we would be some super liberals. I was a little insulted at first.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This kills me. Everyone always calls the Republicans the party of the, "Rich" and you post this up, yet they're all a bunch of liberals....

[/ QUOTE ] That does make sence consittering how liberal most colleges are. The teachers/proffessers do push thier political view on thier students, so I can see it.

10. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That does make sence consittering how liberal most colleges are. The teachers/proffessers do push thier political view on thier students, so I can see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just spewing with education there Paul.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] That does make sence consittering how liberal most colleges are. The teachers/proffessers do push thier political view on thier students, so I can see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think that is true. I never saw it anyhow. Most of the Professors I came into contact with were all about giving the students freedom to work and think on there own.

However, Michael Dukakis does teach at the school I went to. Used to see him all the time, he's a midget.

-Chris