Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is the 208 so bad???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Mar 24, 2004.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Just going by what people tell me. Will it hold up to 38s and a diesel?

thanks mike

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I run a 208 and have no problems with it. I like mine and Im gonna keep it for a while.

Nick

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Don't get swap happy UNTIL you break it. It has a good low range gearing, lower than 205. With a diesel you are wheeling slower anyway, or should be. Fast driving is for cars /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

1. Slip yoke - this is a pain in the ass if you break the rear shaft, more expensive for a C/V joint etc
    2. Aluminum case - Will probably crack like a egg if it comes down hard on a rock, so get a good skid plate.

Other than that it's a pretty good t-case...

5. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

I'm sure someone will disagree BUT... I don't think the
    208 is functionally a weak unit, majority of problems are because the case is aluminum it is more prone to physical impact damage (ie: hitting a rock and cracking the case)
    as far as mechanically, you should be fine.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Cons:

Aluminum case prone to cracking
    Hangs too low
    Slip yoke output

Pros:

Good low range
    Lightweight
    shift smooth

Fixes for the cons go like so,

Clock it up so it don't hang so low. Now you can put an even better skid plate under it so you don't crack the aluminum housing.

Convert the slip yoke output with Dodge 208 parts.

The military used them for years behind a 400 tranny. They must be good for something. I'm keeping mine.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I have only 2 problems with 208 or 241 (and similar).

1) They are very vulnerable. They tend to hang way down and the case is aluminum. One good whack and your getting towed home.

2) The slip yokes. Eliminator will fix that, but they are not cheap.

Address those 2 problems and they are great cases. I’ve got a 241 in my moderate duty 1 ton K5 and I would not even consider changing it. Same for the 700R4. They make an almost perfect combo for moderate wheeling. But would I run them in my truggy? Not on a bet…

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think the 208 is a good case and I don't think I need to repeat the pro's and con's. I however think the 241 is a good upgrade if you can get one in good shape and is an 89' case but if you have a 208 in excellent shape than I wouldn't bother swapping. AS far as your diesel..what is it? The dodge ISB cummins has an HD version 241 behind it and no one that I know has had a prob with it, even running nearly 600HP and 1,000-1,300 ft pounds of torque. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I just sold an NP 208 to a guy yesterday for $300. In his case, the high cost of replacing the entire case when the chain snaps and eats up the inside aluminum is a major con for the 208.

That said, I beat the piss out of my truck with that particular 208 in it and never had any transfer case related issues.

10. 84CUCV

What is clocking up??

mike

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Turning the t-case until it's tucked up more in the frame. The idea is trying to get a flatter belly and less t-case hanging down...

12. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

what does that do to the front drive shaft then? Will it need to be replaced with a longer one?

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sometimes it does, just like a lift. Also, it may cause angular problems requiring modification of the CV or a new high angle unit.

14. 84CUCV

Mabey down the road, dont have the cash now.

mike

15. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

what is so bad about a slip yoke?
    and is there any good to them?

16. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what is so bad about a slip yoke?
    and is there any good to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that if you have driveshaft/u jt failure you cannot remove the shaft without losing trans case fluid. With a fixed yoke you can remove the d shaft, repair it or drive it in front wheel drive. The good thing about it is that the slip yoke is internal, inside the trans case and lasts MUCH longer normally than a slip yoke on the d shaft that gets contaminated with dirt or water. Also the d shaft is better balanced for high speed driving since it has less mass. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I always knew that that was a plus to a fixed yoke but never thought it was really that great of a thing... so thats the only advantage of a fixed yoke? one isnet any "stronger" then the other?

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I always knew that that was a plus to a fixed yoke but never thought it was really that great of a thing... so thats the only advantage of a fixed yoke? one isnet any "stronger" then the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well to clarify a little more:
    The slip yoke is continuously lubricated by the ATF so the slip part last longer but since the factory had the yoke drilled on the sides for the plastic injection to hold the caps of the U joints, that weekens the ears and that usually is where they break.
    Another thing about the slip yokes is that on stock vehicles the yoke is almost inline with the driveshaft and the tranny output so the slipping is without binding, when you lift it, the angles become extreme and now your yoke wants to bend up intead of slipping in which puts stress on the output shaft and I ahve seen some bent.
    The fixed yoke driveshaft with slip joints in them the slip is always in line with the motion, no matter what angle the driveshaft is at.
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

a piece of thin wall pipe with the end welded shut is handy when you want to drive on front shaft only. Weld a small bracket on it so you can attach to tail housing with radiator clamp.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    a piece of thin wall pipe with the end welded shut is handy when you want to drive on front shaft only. Weld a small bracket on it so you can attach to tail housing with radiator clamp.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is an extra slip yoke. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif