Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is the slip yoke on the NP208 considered bad??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CamaroZ85, Mar 11, 2003.

1. CamaroZ85

CamaroZ85 Registered Member

Just curious...BTW I have a 4" susp lift and 3" body lift, how does this play into the situation?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

slip yokes SUCK!!!!!!!!! Three main reasons... they dont allow very much travel in your rear suspension for one thing. If your rigs rear is too flexy, you can easily pull the slip yoke right out of the case. secondly, when that shafts comes out... joy of joys... your tcase fluid starts leaking out the gapping hole left by the shaft! weeee!!! Lastly, because it doesnt accept a flange for a standard CV shaft to connect too you have to either get a driveline shop to make you a trick shaft if you want a cv or live with driveline vibe problems. a trick shaft is more $ and in the end not as strong as a HAD setup (for example). Some reputable shops that make HD drivelines wont even make a HD cv shaft that will work on a slip yoke. If a driveline pro doesnt trust the design... i dont either.

can you tell i dont like slip yokes yet? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif thats cause I still have one!!!! Gah. Tomorow I (finally!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) drop off the parts for my np205 swap... i CANT WAIT until that god forsaken 208 is out of my rig. Its been a headache since the day I got my jimmy.

j

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They leak!!!!!!!

I'm so glad I ditched mine!