Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why is this hobby so addicting?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

So, I've got 15 fish now. I want another large aquarium. Currently we have the 55 and the 20 up and running. I could sit and watch beautiful fish for hours.

Heather wants some angels, I wouldn't mind some severum. If I wasn't moving in less than a year, I'd build a large aquarium in the basement. Fish now have the same effect on me as puppies and kittens. Walk through a pet/fish store, and all of em want to come home with me :)

I think I'll be okay as long as I stay away from reptiles and amphibians. A friend of mine has a couple lizards, it's real fun to see them and the cats go at it :haha:

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

fish rock. I had a couple of all-white angels when I was a kid. Succeffully got them to breed to. Man, that was a blast!

I think its best to have one huge tank with a few large fish though... rather than several tanks and a boatload of smaller fish. I want a custom 5o-ish gallow tank with a pair of Oscars more than anything else aquarium related. Those bad boys rock.

j

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Yeah, I've got my one Oscar in the 55 gallon. The 20 is a community tank with smaller fish.

I would love to have a 110-120 gallon for an Oscar and a good-sized Severum.

http://www.oscarfish.com/

Great Oscar resource. Oscar gurus over there recommend 50 gallons per oscar due to how messy they are.

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Fish are awesome! I've only got a 25-gal freshwater tank at home, but at work we have a 100-gal saltwater, with triggers, puffers, lionfish, etc. and it is a real time killer:haha:. It seems that the bigger saltwater fish really have their own personalities, especially our puffer, Steve. It always looks like he's smiling and trying to talk to you. :rotfl: Although, I used to keep a Betta in my tank at home and he would let us pet him. I know fish are "dumb" and don't have a consciousness, but it's still fun to pretend they do.:D

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Some fish are pretty smart, though. My oscar can recognize me, recognized what his food pouch looks like through the glass, can recognize shrimp through the glass, and is deathly afraid of a tape measure outside of the glass :dunno:

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I think a 55gallon tank is enough for a mating pair. I had an Oscar in a 20g "long" tank when I was a kid. He got to be 8"+ long and lived a long time before he kicked the bucket.

j

7. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I wish I had pics of my old oscars. I just set my tank back up yesterday, and I am really not sure what kind of fish I am going to get yet. Oscars kick arse, but I kinda want a community tank.

I think I am also going to get a smaller (25 gallon) pre setup saltwater tank for my bedroom.

8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Pre setup saltwater eh?

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

when i got my first 50 gallon aquarium,i sat there till 2.30 am.2 clown knives and 2 gar pike.then i had two 50 gal aquariums. with silver fish and a black finned shark.if i didn't have so much stuff to do on my house i would get another aquarium.now i just dive at a local quarry and look at those fish.it is cool to be in the water wth them,Mitch.:waytogo:

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

thats true. mine would follow me from one end of ther tank to the other."daddy has feeder fish".:haha:

11. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I had a 55 gallon tank up till last year, and watched my buddy's 150 gallon for a few months last year as well. Decieded I didn't have the time. I wanted to keep clown Loaches because of their personalities, but they are also very sensitive. @ the time I had about 1/2 dozen cichlids. I got out of it for now