Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why Isnt Anybody Running Ground Hawgs..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Jul 24, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Just wondering cause it seems that everyone, at least a majoriy are running swampers. I'm sure there is good reason, I just dont know it.

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Ya used to see them all over the place but now they're kind of scarce ......... I owned a set once and liked them quite a bit ........... they wore real even and lasted a long time ......too loud though ...

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I got my 35 Goodear MTRs for 155 each and got a warranty on them.

86 Blazer 4" lift 35" MTRs locked front, still 1/2 ton axles

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I used to see them everywhere too.

My guess would be the fact they are directional tires and also bias-ply. Not too many people want those kind of tires.

Most of the GH's I have seen did not wear very good or even. Some wore down later so bad, when you drove the truck, the whole front end shimmied real bad. But that was on a couple trucks, not all of them.

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Tires have come a long way too ............ the Ground Hawgs have stayed the same not offering the off roader anything new to want from them !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I've had 1 set of 40 hawgs. They were real smooth and stable and I had taken them over 100 several times. The front tires wore good but the back ones just went away for some reason?! May have been too much power, being 21 yrs old, and a little liquid testosterone. As far as how loud they were.... who cares! If I want quiet I'll buy a caddy.

Out of 100,000 sperm, YOU were the fastest?? [​IMG]

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think it basically boils down to the fact that Groundhawgs are old shool technology. The tread compound is really hard, which is good for wear but doesn't grip on hard surfaces very good, they are really loud (all newer mud type tires, even the Swampers, alternate different size shoulder lugs with cancel out a lot of the noise), and don't seem to handle very good on pavement.

Years ago I had a couple of friends running Hawgs and they were down right scary on pavement, especially when it was wet.......though you could do burn-outs all day long with them. One of these guys was into fourwheeling and replaced the Hawgs with the regular bias ply Swampers, he claimed that there was a world of difference both on the road and off (with the Swampers being much better).