Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why isn't my exhaust setup louder?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gazooma, Mar 26, 2007.

1. gazooma

gazooma Registered Member

im frustrated right now because i just went down and got flowmaster 40 series delta force installed on a single exhaust setup for my '87 suburban with a 350. it's not much louder at all than the stock exhaust. i have exhaust manifolds back to the muffler, then to a cat, then a Y-pipe which sends dual pipes out the driver's side behind the rear tire. is it true that the super 40 flowmaster is louder than the delta force? what can i do to make my exhaust setup louder?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The Delta flow is a little quiter. You want a plain old 40 series. Also the amount of pipe you have after the muffler is one reason why it is quite. The more pipe you have aft of the muffler the quiter it will be.

If you want it loud just dump the muffler right under the truck it (the sound) will bounce around under your rig and be really loud (and annoying on the highway after aboot 10 min) (just my opinion).

I run a super 40 and I do not feel mine is loud at all and I run a single 3" all the way out the back to the rear quarter with stock manifolds and a Cat.

Tailpipe3.JPG

Ira

Tailpipe3.JPG

3. dick_landy

dick_landy Registered Member

4. gazooma

yeah that sounds like my setup. only problem is i want it to be smog legal for now... i know the cat takes away a bunch of sound but im hesitant to take it off because i have to smog my truck soon. the new mufflers sound great... they have a nice low rumble that i like except their too damn quiet! what if i just dump the pipe after the cat instead of having it run out the back?

5. dick_landy

dick_landy Registered Member

um isnt the cat before the muffler?

6. gazooma

no i'm pretty sure that the cat is after the muffler. let me go check and ill post a pic.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Did you change the cat out? That could also be a problem. My exhaust before was so full of holes it basically dumped right behind the cat and it was quiter than my new exhaust. If it is clogged it will quite the exhaust down a lot.

You are in Cali so you have to have a cat. With the technology in todays cats there is no reason not to run one if they rob power it is only about 1 HP which you will not notice on our rigs.

When I put the new cat on I fired the engine with the cat dumped and it was ****ing loud and right under the drivers floorboard. Adding a muffler made it quiter (obviously) and the tailpipe made it even more quite and actually, I think, helped mellow the tone a bit.

If you did not change the cat I recommend doing that and it will let it "speak" a little more as well as drop some emissions.

Ira

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The cat is required to be before the muffler just after the Y for heat reasons. If the cat does not get hot enough it will not do its job and it will clog. Conversly if it gets too hot it will also clog.

Basically under you K5 there should be a heat shield under the drivers floorboard right above the crossmember. Your cat should be right there.

Ira

9. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

^^^^^what He Said^^^^^

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

See here
    old
    oldexhaust4.JPG
    New
    hanger.JPG

Bad pic but you can see the outlet of the cat in the last pic

Ira

oldexhaust4.JPG

hanger.JPG

11. gazooma

okay here's a picture of my setup.

[​IMG]

here's the muffler:
    [​IMG]

after the muffler:
    [​IMG]

and then the cat:
    [​IMG]

and then exhaust out the side:
    [​IMG]

12. gazooma

so that's not the cat at all? then what is it? i always thought cats were before the muffler too, i saw that and just thought it was the cat. should i just take it off after i get it smogged? or get a new cat/? would dual exhaust after the cat with dual flows help? i think im just gonna take it back to the muffler shop and have them put on a super 40 instead.

13. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Whoever put your cat in is a little messed in the head -- Cat needs to be right after the manifolds, before the muffler...

If you like that deep throaty sound, but want it louder, just cut the flowmaster off, and put a hunk of pipe in there. Cats muffle enough that you won't be getting in trouble with it, and actually make a fairly reasonable exhaust note...

14. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

It needs to be close to the y pipe so it can get to runing temperature. Otherwise it doesn't get hot enough to work. Change that!

~Brian

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya what both of them said^^^^^^^^

Ira

16. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

For reference, I've got an older rig (sans cats), 454, headers, duals and run Flow Super 40s and dumps. They're not particularly loud at all. Loud if you get into it, but pretty mellow at consistent throttle.
    d

17. gazooma

well, heres an update on my situation. i took it down to the muffler shop again and i figured out that there is TWO cats on there. god only knows why. one is before the muffler and theres a smaller one after the muffler. so he switched the place of the two and put a dump right after the muffler. sounds real good now. there is a lot of interior resionance and it sounds damn good from outside too.

18. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Might've been a resonator and not a cat. Many rigs (though I've never seen one on a Chevy) have a post-muffler resonator to reduce noise.
    d

19. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Then you should be able to ditch the resonator all togethor in that case. How is it switched after the muffler if its dumper behind? Is there just the one cat now? Why do you have two accounts now? make up your mind!! :D

20. 80' 427

80' 427 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my local shop leaves the cat and cuts off the mufflers. Usually the cat will make it quite enough. When they do duals on new pickups they stright pipe it after the cat plenty quite.