Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why isn't my Front Dana working??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silverado4x4, May 29, 2001.

1. Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4 Registered Member

Why isn\'t my Front Dana working??

I just finished swapping out my factory 10 bolts for a Dana 44/14 FF combo. I also added a 6 inch lift and 36/14.5/16.5 tires. The rear axle is working great, and I rebuilt both of them, excluding any of the pumpkin gears. Now when i engage 4 wheel, i can hear a click sound come from the front end when i mash the throttle. Not a continous clicking, just a loud click, sometimes 2 or 3 times. I put new Warn premium hubs on, lifted the front end, engaged the lockers and tried to spin the wheels. Sometimes the output shaft would spin, sometimes it wouldn't. The front axle yokes are spinning in the knuckle every time so I know the hubs are working right. Whats wrong? Are those little spider gears in the pumpkin not engaging or slipping? Its an open Dana 44 from like 1973-4. It seems to engage and disengage. And when i'm driving it, at first it feels like its in 4 wheel, then it seems to fall out and then i just have rear wheel....somebody help, this is discouraging after 4 months of hard labor and cash...

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Why isn\'t my Front Dana working??

Did you check the condition of the ring and pinion teeth? If there are any chips, breaks, missing teeth, etc. they are going to make some noise.
    Hows the angle on the driveshaft at the pinion end? If the angle is steep, you may have a bind at the yokes.

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

3. Silverado4x4

Actually yea, the teeth looked great, as far as everything else in there, i thought it looked okay too. I have a transfer case drop kit installed, however the front output shaft is slightly rubbing the exhaust crossover. I was gonna leave it disconnected until i could go to an exhaust shop, but it seemed to sneak its way past enough, so i hooked it up. So maybe it is binding slightly when the throttle is mashed. Not sure if it would be binding just sitting up on a jack though. Good idea, i'll check that too.. Thanks

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

"Clicks" and "falls out but looks ok in the diff"? Hmm, I don't know, sounds bizarre. Like maybe one of the hubs is not engaging fully? If one side does release (broken hub, shaft, etc.) then it will effectively "fall out" of 4WD since the side that is now open will just spin free.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

your problem is definately in the hubs. Recheck your installation of them. One of them, or both of them, are not working properly. "Clicks" are from something in hub tapping maybe the lock ring thingy (small little thing that keeps the hub in place). I ran into a similar problem in the past and got stuck in a mud pit. Check your hubs.
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

6. Silverado4x4

Yea i figured it out. Took off the diff cover and found the spider gears chewed up. Kinda sucks, but looks like its time for a TrueTrac. Thanks for the help guys...

7. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

That could have happened when one of the hubs didn't lock in properly. One open side and the spiders go crazy..still check the Warns out to be sure they work properly. I use lithium grease on mine. One was stuck at one time with some gunk on the honeycone spring and wouldn't let it lock..

83K5 Silverado
    What was that bump?

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

TrueTrac's work great as long as both tires are on the ground. If your wheelin' style includes lifting tires up in the air, then the TrueTrac becomes an open diff as soon as a tire on either end of the axle contact with terra firma. Just something to keep in mind before spending your cold, hard cash. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...