Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why its GOOD to have a ROLL CAGE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Depdog, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

This is a pics and video of a Jeep rollover on Hells Gate. Go to the link and take a look. The video is 6mb and will play on Windows Media Player the best. Whoee!

http://www.stu-offroad.com/rollcage/roll-3.htm

Depdog

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Two things - short wheelbases suck.............and not paying attention/following your spotter's instructions may result in major carnage.

Thanks for the link.

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Actually , the spotter inittially told her to veer the wrong way before that spot which put her in a worse position and then tried to guide here away from without stopping her first. She did, however not listen in time and got in trouble. Ouch!

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, I noticed that too. If she had turned when he told her to, that wouldn't have happened. She was way left of the line and the driver's tire climbed up the side, tipping her over the back. Meanwhile the spotter is energetically waving her to passenger side. Of course, it is easy to get distracted, and it only takes a moment. Just before that he was waving her to the left (couldn’t tell why) and she probably just glanced from him to the trail or something…

6. Depdog

Well, to recap some info off of another post, she was having some kind of steering problems all day and this is also a big contributing factor to the roll, I dont think that she could turn in the direction the spotter was telling her and WHAMO.

Depdog

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Damm that sucks .......mike

8. That slick rock is very unforgiving. might as well have rolled it on concrete. guess she shouldn't have been trying that with steering problems. ooooops.

9. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Pretty heinous tumble. I hate to see that happen even though it was a jeep./forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Evan

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

To me this looks like stupidity of the driver. Ever hear of letting of the gas pedal before you get to that point.

Ken H.

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I hate to be bench racer and hindsights always 20/20, but here's my take on the situation:

1..The spotter was pretty erratic, waving the left and then immediately back to the right, and then to the left again, etc.....

2. The driver seemed to have too much momentum just before going over, and probably shouldn't have gotten off the gas before getting into the position. There didn't seem to be any problem getting plenty of traction so a slower crawl probably could have worked, thus giving the driver more time to react. By the reaction of the spotter, he knew the vehicle was getting in trouble several seconds before it went over but the driver continued to climb forward.

12. Depdog

I have wateched it quite a few times. If you look at the black marks on the rocks, the spotter is trying to keep her in them. He starts telling her to go right a few seconds before she started up the wall, then after she starts up the wall. She got to a point that to me would make me back off before it rolled, looking ahead by myself if I was driving would tell me that going up that way was wrong. I guess it was an expensive lesson.

Depdog

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Whew! Looks like it was a rough ride. I've watched folks drive up that chute before. It is VERY steep. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

14. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Like 6.2 Blazer,

Hind-sights always 20/20, on vidio it's even better.

Glad she's O.K. Just goes to show. The unexpected can and will happen.
    It's hard not to panic, when all you can see is the sky. (ground/sky/ground/sky/ground, ground, ground...feet)