Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why keep affirmative action?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 73k5blazer, Oct 18, 2006.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The Great State of Michigan, in which I live, has a proposal on the ballot this November. To ban affirmative action programs for public universites and goverment offices. This stems from the University of Michigans practice, that W. tried to stop a few years ago, of having admission policies that favor certain races.
    Why is everyone against this? Both the republican and democratic canidates for governor are against the propopsal.

I'm for it. I don't think any goverment office or public university should be deciding anything on race. Isn't that what our Fedral Constitution says?

2. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Because it is a political career ender and since the politicians of today are self-serving and not truly representitives of the people they won't do anything that would jeaprodize their chances for re-election regardless of if it is right or wrong. Nuff said.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Good luck with that. California put affirmative-action on a referendum vote when I was there in the mid-90's (IIRC, the AA proposition got more voters into the polls than any other before). AA was voted OUT by the people, but the special-interest groups and the ACLU filed lawsuits within minutes of the voting results being released. AA is probably still legal in CA now... which is a sad commentary on how the government views the wishes of the voting public.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There is no reason to keep affirmative action . It should be best qualified person for the job . When the baby boomers , hippies , young , and whatever other groups quit feeling guilty , and the people using the "card" quit blaming the "man" , then maybe , just maybe , we can put this crap behind us and stop being PC .

I went from poor to homeowner with nothing more than sweat . There is no reason to give anything to anybody !!!

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

But, I'm pretty sure that Detroit has one of the largest populations of African Americans, so good luck getting that one to pass.

I agree that while a bad idea (affirmative action), getting rid of it would be more difficult than instituting it. Would probably be seen by black americans as a slap in the face. Well, at least the ones that need it to get employed.

6. pauly383

Detroit has a declining population of those we call African Americans as well . They are leaving for the suburbs now too . Must be getting too bad in the inner city with all the well to do college grads moving into the inner city to live .

I don't live there anymore , but keep tabs on it by reading the locals forum :http://detroityes.com/frameset-forum.htm

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I refuse to unless they are actually from Africa within the last couple generations. It's friggin ridiculous, "African" is not a race, it's not even a nationality it's a gawdam continent. What am I, a fuggin European American??? American is your nationality, it has nothing to do with race and the two should not be combined like that. Calling yourself something that signifies your dual nationality is one thing: Mexican American for example. But that too should only be used appropriately, if your family came here from Mex. 100 years ago, you are not Mex. American IMO.

Sorry, rant off. It's one of my pet peeves.

Anyway, back to affirmative action. This was discussed somewhat in the now infamous "A email I recieved" thread. I believe that AA hurts minorities more than it helps them and hurts them more than us. It just furthers the idea of weakness and being somehow less able to succeed, and perpetuates a second class of citizenry.

8. pauly383

Whats to be sorry for , its what you feel ( and I agree ) :D I'd rather call everyone I know by their name , and those I don't know as sir , maam , or that fill in what they are person over there .

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You know, at one time affirmative action was needed so minorities could get a fare shot. Now adays, I do not believe it's needed. Infact, I think affirmative action has became something it was never ment too be. I don't believe it was intended too favor one race over another, but that is what it does now in my honest opinion. I also think it's time too get ride of it, but for someone in a government office too say so would end any chance of re-ellection.

10. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

AMEN TO THAT, SADLY

11. 73k5blazer

Here' s a newsflash:
    Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick has just said in a news conference that he vehemently condemns Michigan Prop2 saying it is bias, racist, and will hurt the people of the City of Detroit and the State of Michigan on whole.

Gee...big surprise.....

Racist! Your the fricking racist Kwame! I support equality.

12. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

AA is a crock, plain and simple. Of course, what white male wouldn't think so? I've lived in places where I was a minority, and I didn't expect crap handed to me. The thing that irks me, is regardless of where I go, the Middle Aged Blacks are really hard workers, no excuses, no chip on their shoulder. They experienced real discrimination and don't want any part of it. It's their kids, who have never experienced any discrimination other than that they have brought upon themselves, who think the world owes them a favor. I don't care what color somebody is unless THEY make it an issue. Then, lets get it on. Spoonfeeding people only makes them lazier.

13. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I agree... well put

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

There is absolutely no need for AA. It clearly states in The Constitution that all men are created equal and civil rights laws have been in place for 40 years now. Therefore everyone has the same opportunity at bettering themselves in the eye's of the law.........

15. 73k5blazer

It was voted to be Banned. Good. Equal oppotunity for all.
    58% to 42% Surprising in this mostly liberal state.

To bad the Candadian lib was re-elected for governor though.

16. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Affirmative Action is taking out a purse snatcher with a baseball bat.:eek1:
    That is all.

17. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

yeah like was mentioned earlier, its obvious that anyone gutsy enough to try to stop affirmative action, will be labeled a racist by the libs and blacks.....(not racist, just dont want to hurt gjk5s feelings). And yes, it is just helping lazy people to remain or become more-so lazy. Pre-1970s, it could do alot of good, now........not so much. Hell if it were up to me, nobody would get any hand outs. No foreign fuggin countries(especially countries that are hostile towards us and use it as a bargaining chip:mad: ), homeless, single mommies, no retribution payments for slavery, indian lands, *stealing* Texas from Mexico(gimme a break), illegal aliens, social security, affirmative action, national healthcare, coughing too loud. The only group of people I could see as deserving and appropriate to give any sort of financial help to, would be veterans of the military. I would probably hold out all of the postal service jobs for the vets though.

Remington

18. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: What's that supposed to mean? Besides, I am a very unlikey candidate for introweb butthurtitude.:D

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You know if Kerry had won in '04 we would have had an "African -American" First Lady:D

20. 73k5blazer

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Oppss..sorry...race..again...

:eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

:D :haha: :haha: :haha: