Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why lower your t-case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RATAH, Oct 21, 2002.

1. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

just wondering why people lower there
    T-case?
    Thanks for any info

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Some people experience a bad vibration or binding up on their driveshaft due to the angles it operates at. While a CV joint would be the optimum answer, not everyone had $600 to drop on a new driveshaft. So first we try rotating the spring pads or using shims. If that doensn't cure it, we drop the Tcase. I dropped mine an inch and it doesn't seem to hinder me. Sure cured that rear vibration though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

how exactly do you drop the transfer case? is there a kit to buy? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

10-4 on that but check your linkage after you get it done.

quick story:

last week I lowered mine 1 1/4 shifter felt a little funny going into park so I put it in park hit the e-brake and crawled under to take a peak. (in the driveway mind you; 4 degree slope) so I am playing with the linkage gave it a little twist right at the tranny pow poped in "R" lucky I was vertical underneath. I had one arm on the cross member and one on the linkage sliding down the driveway like I was in some B rated action flick! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif after about six feet I thought I better turn this somebitch b4 I get to the street thank god I got it back in park. hey one good thing, I did not have to wipe my butt the driveway did it for me. guess I will tell the old lady the truck had a oil leak. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i know what tightwork went through , but i did it differently in the end. i was putting a body lift
    on my s15 and my driveway has a big slant to it. well
    anyways, i have a gravel driveway,and my wheel chocks
    didnt hold as good , so when i was adjusting the linkage
    "pop", she started to take off downhill. i rolled out from
    underneath risking being ran over , jumped in the truck
    as it was rolling downhill , and slammed the brake.
    /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. i know better now.

6. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

To lower it, just take the spacers that are on the bottom of the crossmember and place them above. Takes you about 10 mins. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif