Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHY ME!!!400 issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Feb 27, 2007.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

No,I don't have 400 issues..just issues with my 400 sbc.thought I'd clarify.
    Anyway,after having my truck sitting for a year and getting a heart transplant,and solving my timing,no start,electrical problems,I've been experiencing bad vibrations, and rough running.After using the search function,I realize that I get to pull the engine again.
    I didn't know at the time of the engine swap(350-406)that the 400 block uses an externally balanced flywheel:angry1:.:doah: I guess I should've researched the swap a little more.
    So,the question is,what kinda $$ can expect to pay for a flywheel for the 400?Is there any specific brand,etc?thanks,guys!

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get one from auto zone. It's made by pioneer and it's held up to a lot of abuse from me! It also accepts the large clutches easily. I can't remember what i paid... I wanna say about 150?

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The harmonic balancer is also exclusive to the 400 in case you swapped over anything other than a 400 balancer.

4. royjones

royjones Trucker upper Premium Member

hay

you can get a plate that bolts on with the 350 flywheel from kurt at diy 10 bucks maybe hes in the vender section cyberfire allrighty then:D

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't like those because they move the flywheel out of alignment for the starter to engage properly and i also don't think they are compatible with a flywheel, only a flexplate. I'm just going by what i've read somewhere.

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I got mine new from GM and I think it was less than $100. I got the employee discount at the time but that may be one option to look at.

7. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

The Zone is looking like my only option right now.Napa only has the insert.$92.99 for the flywheel,$61 for the insert.other parts stores only have the ring gear.

The 400 was originally backed by an auto(350/205)it has the correct harmonic balancer.

So which do you think would be easier to do?pull the engine,or the trans.?

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

pull the trans

9. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

I e-mailed Kurt at DIY. He didn't see any reason it wouldn't work.Says it's only .070" thick so it shouldn't have an effect on the starter engaging.So I may be the guinea pig on this one.We'll see what happens.Thanks guys.