Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHY ME?!!! Mallory Unilite's SUCK!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Jul 24, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

WHY ME?!!! Mallory Unilite\'s SUCK!

Only I could turn a simple grocery getting experience into a failure! I took the truck tonight to get a few things at a local store. I get out of the store, back out of the spot, and start to roll merrily along in 1st gear. I didn't give it much gas as I was talking on my cell phone at the time. The truck died, just as it was beginning to accelerate. Push in the clutch, and crank. NOTHING. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif The first thing thru my mind is the Unilite ignition module. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Read this LINK FOR MORE INFO ON THIS "P.O.S." Long story short, I discovered it lost spark (indicates IGN module to me).

So I think I'm done with Mallory products. Here are the two options:
    1. return to a HEI distributor, and sell off all the other IGN pieces.
    2. install a different after market IGN setup (DIST. AND IGN BOX) that I can trust not to fail just because the DAMN power spikes! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

The power problem likely was/is related to the TWO new cooling fans I installed... they are each on their own 30A circuit fed directly fron the batt., thru a 30A breaker, thru a HD relay, and then to the fan. They are both triggered by a elec. thermostat, which turns both units on at the same time. This causes enuf drag on the elec system to slightly dimm the head lights! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif But it surely shouldn't cash my IGN system! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

So anyone have a suggestion on what to use for an IGN system? I'd like to use MSD, as I've used a lot of their products in the past. I've killed a couple 6AL baxes, so I would want the OFFROAD version...

The BIGGEST problem here, is that I leave for Florida Thursday morning, and <font color="red">have to have this resolved in the next 24hrs! So I need all the input I can get, and quick!!</font color> /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Thanks all!

-Dan

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Re: WHY ME?!!! Mallory Unilite\'s SUCK!

if you truly believe a power spike is killing the ign mod perhaps you should wire a capacitor in the fans wiring to reduce the spike.
    car audio buffs will have this part to reduce the lights dimming/flickering when the amp trys to produce big bass.
    I would go back to an HEI on short notice, though I prefer an external ignition Module for ease of replacement and better cooling.
    didnt the vette's get a remote coil version

3. KRAZIE87K5

Those capacitors are huge! I used to do car stereo installs... last system I installed used TWO caps! Anywho, not sure that will help.

I have the "active power filter" installed before the IGN module too! I blew one module this last winter when the battery drained all the way dead... that too causes the unit to die! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif This thing just sucks... I wish I could go to something else, but after looking at MSD prices for DIST.($289) and a offroad control box($212)... that's a bit out of reach at the moment. SO looks like I might be off to purchase ANOTHER MALLORY IGN module($90), and the "power cell" too($30). /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Totally sucks. Moral of my story: NEVER BUY MALLORY IF YOU CAN AVOID THEM. MATTER OF FACT, AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Bastards...

-Dan

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I am no fan of MSD

5. KRAZIE87K5

What are you a fan of then??? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

-Dan

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

i like ice cream! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

MSD is real proud of there old junk and wants a pretty penny for it.
    the fact they even still make and sell the old analog crap
    Accel makes some real sweet stuff these days.

I would stay with a common available anywhere ignition system. K.I.S.S.

I do dream of spending large $$$ on a DIS system

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'd stick with HEI for the peace of mind for the trip. That's a longgggggggg way to drive not knowing if you're gonna die on the road.

What alternator do you have? Electric fans coming on with a high output alternator will not even be noticeable.............dual batteries are a good idea too with an isolator setup. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm a big believer in the STOCK ignition system that GM spent all that money designing... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif A standard HEI will provide plenty of spark and last a very long time. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I've never seen a valid* dyno test that showed an aftermarket ignition making a difference in power until after 5,500 RPM or so. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif It's also very rare for the stock HEI to fail. But I've read countless horror stories on here from folks having one failure or another from their mega-buck aftermarket ignition systems.

(* Valid: A test that begins with a properly tuned engine in the first place. I've seen tests where they take a cratered old truck that hasn't had a tuneup in 15 years, then put it on a chassis dyno. Next they install new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and a magic-box ignition system and report new power numbers that are incredible. They attribute the gain to the magic-box, when in reality 99.5% of the gain was just from performing a simple tune-up. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif On tests that start with an engine that is properly tuned, the "difference" is always well within the margin of error of the dyno itself.)

10. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I run an accel hei and burned a few brushes but thats it. No problems for the last 2 years or so...

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Go stock. My unit is umpteen years old, and besides new bushings for the advance weights, (Mallory I think it is makes a $5 kit that you can rebuild the advance with) and some GM module I found laying around in the wrecking yard, it hasn't given me grief once.

One thing you've got to be aware of on *used* stock ones, is end play. Both up down, and side to side. (cam gear end) The end bushing wears, and can eat into the shaft, which is not a part you can buy new.

However, like I said, I'm running a used one of unknown age/mileage, and it hasn't caused any problems that shouldn't be expected with age.

12. KRAZIE87K5

Well after some brief testing today, I found that the ignition module was JUST FINE. So I tested the coil, and it read high on the primary side. Its supposed to read between .7-.8 ohms, and it read 1.0 ohms. Took a guess and tossed in a new Accel coil. Turned the key, and VIOLA! She started right up!

WTF causes a coil to die?!!! Only me... I swear. The damn truck hates me! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-Dan

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have always had very good luck with unilites they are one on my favorite ignition systems and have never had a problem with one.
    If you are running an aftermarket performance coil you might check the installation instructions. Some high perf coils need a ballast resistor installed on the 12V side to keep them from burning out.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

GM coils usually are rare to go out, but everything goes out eventually.

15. KRAZIE87K5

Looks like low voltage is my problem. The TWO HUGE FERD fans have put a strain on my electrical system. I just learned (in the driveway thank God) that the fans take too much juice from the battery after shutting the IGN off. Problem not really being that they use too much power after the IGN being shut off, but more that they use too much power while driving at low RPMs where the ALT can't keep up! :P I think its time for a BIG alternator... Think Napa can field that call? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Let's find out!

*Naration of a call to my loacl Napa:*
    First dude is clueless! NEXT! On hold...
    Uh.. we don't have anything bigger than what cmoes stock Sir...
    Me: Whatever! bubbye!

Calling AutoZone:
    Only a little better, and that was talking to the Manager!

Okay... where can I get a BIG ALT. without dropping a BIG CHUNK OF $$$? Anyone?

-Dan

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Dan, I used to work at a place that built commercial Generator sets. They usually run at 1800 RPM so charging can be an issue. Some sets run at 1200 RPM...

My old boss had some module or something that would get the Alt charging max output at those low RPM's. It's been a while since I talked to him but I will ask him for more info on Monday when I'm off during the day.

Rene

17. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

pep boys 94 amp alt $64.00 alt parts.com 2.25 inch underdrive pulley $18.00 dollars problem should be solved. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

18. KRAZIE87K5

Would I have to replace my existing ALT to use that "module", or would it require the use of one of their generators? Thanks Rene!

-Dan

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It was some internal part of the alternator. Having a 300KW generator might be handy but it sure wouldn't fit under the hood./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Rene