Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHy My Puter Do This?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by landsmasher, Aug 21, 2004.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

It's a piece of crap but it's all I have right now. It's a Compaq Deskpro Pentium II. I just moved and when I hooked it back up it started rebooting itself for no reason. At first I thought it was a power failure but it's doing it all the time now. Just all of a sudden shuts down and reboots and does a scan disk on itself. Then everything is fine for a while till it does it again... ??? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

hard drive is going most likely

3. landsmasher

Wonderfull... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

sometimes all it takes is a hard bump to damage the hard drive. Since you just moved, you may have bumped it bit too hard..? I would not use it until you can hook up a new hard drive and back up anything you want, or just copy the whole thing over.

5. landsmasher

Hmmm... Well, I really have no choice right now. Better back everything up and hope for the best. This session has lasted a couple of hours now. No reboot yet. Going to leave it on and see how long it lasts. It couldn't be the power supply could it? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You should have parked the heads on the hard drive (if it has that capability) before you moved it to keep them from getting damaged. Sounds like there are some bad spots on your drive now from getting banged around. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

just a tip, don't turn it off when your done. Just set it to go into sleep mode. I'd highly recommend backing up though. It could last a day, it could last longer, but ya never know (i've been there /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif)

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You might want to check for viruses. Ther are several viruses out there that cause reboots, but it could be lots of things after getting banged around a little during the move.

9. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

that was happenin to me before, im not sure how it started, prolly from me kickin it when it was slow /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif or just a virus, i had my freind reformat it and it works great now

10. landsmasher

Well it's been four hours and nothing yet... Hmmm...

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

sometimes if the computer takes a bang during moving or the case twists a little the ram or video card or something can pop out. This causes a short and it reboots. Turn the computer off, unplug it and then push in on all the cards and pieces. If its been on a little bit, chances are it got warmed up enough to make contact. When it cools or if you shut the computer off and turn it back on it will start rebooting itself again.

My vote is somethings loose.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm thinking power supply, or loose cards like JJL said. A hard drive failure would make things act wierd, but it shouldn't cause a sudden reboot like you describe.

But, backup anyway. I have had hard drives destroyed because the power supply was flickering.
    Is the reboot like someone yanked the plug from the wall, then like it was plugged back in? I'd lean toward power supply or loose connection somewhere.

13. landsmasher

I'm hoping you and JJ are correct. I have to move the computer again today so while it's apart, I'll open it up and check everything for tightness. Will blow out the dust at the same time.

Thanks all...

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I had that problem with my IBM last year. Turned out too be a capasiter on the mother board. Replaced it and haven't had a problem with it sence.

15. landsmasher

Well it hasn't done it now since I complained about it in the beginning of the thread. Who knows? Geeeesh.... Been a nice puter though. That's been the only problem I've had with it since I got it.

Don't know what a capacitor would be doing on a mother board though. I don't think I've ever seen one on a MB. Maybe it was your power supply they were talking about.

Anyways, it seems to have repaired itself.

16. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't know what a capacitor would be doing on a mother board though

[/ QUOTE ]

Check your computer again - there are plenty, especially around the cpu socket.
    They are important.