Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why no detroit locker in a 14FF with Gov-loc?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GUMBY, Jul 12, 2001.

1. GUMBY

GUMBY Registered Member

What is the physical reason why a 14FF with a gov-loc can not be fitted with a detroit locker? Is the carrier a different shape or something?

2. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Gumby-The detroit locker made for a 14 bolt is made to fit inside a stock "open" carrier. If the truck already has a gov'loc in it, the gov-loc itself is made different than the open carrier and you can not install the detroit inside it,( no room)

3. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

can you replace the gov-loc carrier with an open one?

Email: xiaozhu@my-deja.com

4. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

The reason a detroit locker wont go into a gov-lock carrier is, a gov-loc has three anti-rotation post in its carrier were a detroit locker requires four post. Go to the junk yard and find a 14 bolt FF with a open carrier. The cross that holds the spider gears will have four post. Hope this helps.

MAC

5. GUMBY

GUMBY Registered Member

Thanks 4xmac and Steve.

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    FYI, the gov-lock is rebuidable, and the detriot is not.
    Some may debate the strenght of the gov-lock, vs. detriot, but for your application it may not matter.

7. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i agree with executioner, it is a lot stronger than your garden variety 10 bolt gov-lock. totally different design. not a bunch of little parts to get abused by big tires and power. mine is awesome as hell. if i do a power break at a stop light, and keep the power applied through a corner, it will chirp....it locks tight as hell. just remember where these axles came from (3/4 and 1 ton trucks that are used to carry tons of weight). i will run it till it goes, but as good as a detroit sounds, it may be cheaper and easier to just rebuild the gov-lock. i am very surprised with its performance...

later rob

c:\program files\ulead systems\ulead photo explorer 6.0\cache\img00010.jpg