Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why not a Destroit in the front?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Mar 10, 2001.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I read about the ARB in the front on Steve's new d60 - sounds great, but no way I can afford it. Why not a destroit?
    I understand about increased effort to steer while in 4wd, but what else?
    I most most concerned with ON-street drawbacks. I know if you unlock the hubs there won't be any. What about if you keep the hubs locked in but keep the 205 in 2-hi?
    I really like the durability of the Detroit and would prefer to plan for one in the front as time permits.
    In case anyone's curious, no I would not put a detroit in my 10-bolt up front. I would be eventually finding a d60 and putting in that. No reason to sink money in 1/2 axles. :)
    -- Mike

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The Detroit will not just require more effort, but it will completly kill your turning radius. You will need to unlock 1 hub on the trail or make multiple point turns on the sharper corners. With the hubs unlocked and the case in 2 hi you wont know its there because it wont be spinning or connected to the wheels.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

3. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I have a detroit in my front Dana 60. I don't drive it on road anymore but I did last year. I had abosultely no problem driving it (2H). When I used my 4 low, yes it will pull and you do have to compensate the steering but it's not that big a deal. You get use to it. There are so many rumours about that front detroit which as far as I am concerned are not justified.
    I love that front detroit and would not change it

Theresa

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </A>

4. K10

K10 Registered Member

I also have a Detroit in the front of my truck. It does make it a little harder to steer and increses turning radius slightly but those drawbacks are small compared to the advantages of the strength of the Detroit.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://nick.rockcrawler.com>http://nick.rockcrawler.com</A>

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Stick a Detroit in the front and forget about it...and never worry about air lines, seals, air pump, etc like you have to with an ARB...like, "I wonder if this thing will work"? A Detroit will work forever and you will never have to worry about it.

ken

6. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

What Ken said!
    CB

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Up here in Michigan where we use our 4X4s on the road with packed snow and ice in the winter, I think you would develop an intimate relationship with the ditch. Otherwise, go for it.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If your not going extreme (rock crawling or mud) and you use it on the street allot (as others have said, not an issue if you don't engage on the street), I would put in a power-lock. Note, I have never used one of these but a trac-tech tech guy (makers of detroit lockers) actually recommended it in front over the DL for any but the most extreme use. Of course, IMHO, a DL is the only way to go in a C14-FF out back...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BadDog on 03/12/01 12:23 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

9. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Powr-Loks are fantastic diffs. They are the best of the clutch type limited slips, and actually clamp harder as slipping forces multiply, thereby allowing it to act much like a spool. I have PLs in the rears of all 3 of my Jeep CJs, and one in the front 60 of my '77 Sub, they will actually chirp the tires much like a spool when going around a corner (the rear ones). If ya can't afford a Detroit, get a PL.

ken

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, this guy was suggesting that a PL should be used in the front to eliminate the problems generally associated with a DL such as a large turning radius and unlocking the inside hub.

So, as someone who has used a PL in the front, what do you say? Are they better in the front when turning off road? How well does it work with one tire in the air? Does it require the brake trick?

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

11. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

You better get used to hopping out every 10 seconds and unlocking the damn hubs to make it around the corner, cause you won't be able to do any tight turning at all - hell, you can barely turn at all! My ARB was worth the saving up for it, I would never use anything else! Run the lines carefully and you will never have any "leaks", and make sure that a qualified person installs it, and it will work and last just as long as a Detroit...except I can turn mine off with the flip of a switch and keep driving. I don't have to get out and jump in the mud, or in the snow to unlock the damn hubs that are probably under water or mud!! The guys that say they can turn fine with the locker must be turning in huge fields or something, not the tight turns and rock gardens I am used to...it just DOESN't turn when locked, that's all there is to it! I just flip the switch, make the turn, and turn it back on for the next obstacle. If you can, jump in someone's rig that has a locker in front and try to drive it, see how it is for yourself... Just my .02 cents!!!

12. 80blazer

80blazer Registered Member

I have a friend who had a 47 willies flat fender and it was awsome with power lock front and rear as for turning radius it was not as good as open but it was worth it. the only thing that would stop that thing was high rev. stuff (mud sand) due to stock V6. Hopes this helps
    Jeff 80Blazer project just begun

13. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Yup Keith, the Detroit in the front of my dually makes it take a football field to turn. About the only reason I put it in there is for the sand, when you get stuck, you gotta have all 6 42s pulling!!! ARBs are the ultimate, but I've heard too many horror stories of bad seals, snagged lines, etc, for me to want to worry about...but hey, that's just me and my opinion!! The front 44 I'm building for my Jeep CJ8 will have either a Tru-Trac or a Power Lock in it...not a Detroit!

ken