Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why not this idea for the HD shackle kit?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by thatK30guy, Feb 11, 2004.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Instead of replacing the 7/16" bolts for 1/2", why not just replace them for the 9/16" bolts like the forward part of the front springs and also the rear springs, which are all 9/16". /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

This would be pretty simple and easy with the sleeves in the bushings. Just have to drill or punch the holes out in the gold shackles out a little more. Would be the ultimate in strength on the GM trucks then. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not only that but GM went with 9/16" bolts on the shackle end of the front springs starting in 1989 so to buy a shackle upgrade for 1989 and newer is a downgrade and not an upgrade. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    Not only that but GM went with 9/16" bolts on the shackle end of the front springs starting in 1989 so to buy a shackle upgrade for 1989 and newer is a downgrade and not an upgrade. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean 1/2" bolts rather than 9/16" for the '89 and newer. I had an '88 V30 frame that had the 1/2" shackle bolt, too, and yes, it was an '88.

I agree there that its not an upgrade since the bolts are already the same size, PLUS, the shackle is also 1/2" longer like the HD kit. Just a thicker metal is all the HD kit is offering for the '88 and up trucks.

So, yep, why not a 9/16" bolt upgrade for the HD shackle kit. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We've played that game before and the problem is the spring eye and shackle eye are too small to mess with it much. If you leave the bushing with a decent amount of meat on it, you have to make the sleeve really thin and then the sleeve crushes, if you make the sleeve bigger, you need a bigger hole in the bushing and then the bushing durability goes downhill. The "standard" bushing for the '88-up has a 3/4" hole and 1 1/8" (rough numbers) outside, so it doesn't leave as much bushing material as our hard compound bushings with a 5/8" bore. So, yes we go down in bolt size in some cases but overall durability goes up.
    On the '88-up, you get a stronger shackle plate, more durable bushings and the upper bolt is upgraded from the stock 7/16" size. GM did figure some of this out toward the end of the run on these trucks, the '88-up shackle isn't as bad a part as the earlier versions but there's still a little room to make it better.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If anything I wish they'd gone to a 5/8 bolt anyway. It's far more common than a 9/16.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I agree with stephen on the sleeve issue. I used a bushing set up similar to the ord kit and put in sleeves that allowed 9/16" bolts. The sleeves are rather thin and flare out easily. I don't mind changing them annually as I seem to tear down and tune/modify my springs about that often. It is a good for strength but now I carry an extra pair of sleeves, bushings, and shackles cause servicing them is a pain. I have a quick write up of how I did it in a post somewhere, but out of respect to ORD you will have to search for it.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

so if someone was having a custom set of springs made, getting the rear spring eye made the same size as the front eye would allow the use of the larger hardware with no bushing issues?

j

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You could go to a 1.5" eye and have better durability there. It doesn't help your frame end and you will have to have a longer shackle to make up for the extra eye diameter, so that it doesn't hit the frame. This could mess with your castor some, so watch that effect. Otherwise, go for it.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the same way I looked at it when I installed my HD shackle kit. So, instead of replacing the bushing in my spring so that I could use the 1/2" greaseable bolt, I drilled out the lower holes of the brackets to 9/16" and just reused the bolt that I had in there. So, now I've got a 9/16" regular bolt on the bottom and a 1/2" greaseable bolt on the top as opposed to ORD's HD kit which would have been 1/2" and 1/2" or stock, which was 9/16" and 7/16".

10. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK is heavy removing the sleeve in the bushings?

11. thatK30guy

Damn! Heavy's reply is over 3 years old! :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

Wonder if he's still stuck with trying to decide what to do? :doah: :D :haha:

12. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know, Like a good boy I searched and dug this up from the archives:D It just was not clear. I got it know. The answer was the bushings are larger with bigger eye holes and larger bushings to accomodate.