Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why not to buy discount tools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by new2k5, Mar 4, 2003.

1. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

well i finally got my axels on sunday and decided since the weather was going to be decnt today i would take a personal day to clean em up and shave the 14 bolt. i ended up grenadeing 3 17 dollar 4" angle grinders. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and i still have alot to go till my 14 is shaved. since its going to rain tommorow i am going to go shopping for a REAL angle grinder. any suggestions? i am leaning towards dewalt. i hope to be able to finish this up thursady night after work since they are going on the truck sat. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I have a chicago eletric, has served its purpose fine. I have a buddy who will live and die by dewalt, but i find that its a bit more expensive. I hear milwakee is also top notch.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've had my 4" makita for about 10yrs now and have put that thing through so much abuse and it keeps on grinding /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

miluakee and dewalt are my brands, they are the best! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Never bought dewalt but my friend's dad is a contractor and he swears by em. He calls his 18v drill his "hired man". /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Got a 4in Makita thats been a good one.6 years old now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I have a 10 year old makita still grinding away just bought a new one so I don't have to change from grinding wheels to wire brush in the middle of a job.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i got a sears one. thing has done more grinding than a lot of grinders out there. keeps in ticking. works great.
    they were on sale out here for a nice prce the other day. maybe in your area as well.

1 year exchange policy in about 5 min if needed is nice.
    grant

9. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Got a 5" hitachi and it is a great unit.

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    miluakee and dewalt are my brands, they are the best

[/ QUOTE ]

round here- we all have dewalts for power tools-

cept my new power rear window "motor"...went cheap with that one- case it gets stolen outta the truck

Brandy

11. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

ive got a $20 chicogo electric that i use the piss out of and never had a problem (knock on wood)

12. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

if your looking for a name brand unit that lasts I'd stick with mikita, milwakee, or dewalt.

13. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Dewalt... my drills and grinders are dewalt. all my saws are Milwaukie. Go figure.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I gota go against everyone here and say Porter Cable! I also like the top of the milwalkie line but not their cheeper stuff. DeWalt stuff ain't what it used to be.

As long as it is made in the /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif it is good.

15. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Dewalt is made by black and decker, same thing exact thing in many cases but different color housing. My father who was a contractor used alot of milwaukee, porter cable, and mikita. Many companies have things they specialize in, when you think of sawzall what pops to mind? Milwaukee. I have a mikita angle grinder and cordless tools, prefer porter cable saws(except sawzall), Milwaukee buffers and have many other wood working tools of various manufacture.
    Find one with the features you like and that is servicable in your area and go from there.

16. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Look for a overload on any of them.Most of the cheap ones don't have one and burn up the motors if you ride them to hard.You may have to hit reset button some,but, they last a little better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. jumpinjimburns

jumpinjimburns Newbie

Makita, It's taken a lot of abuse over the years.

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are you perhaps putting too much pressure on the grinding wheel when grinding? If you're bogging down the motor, you're pressing too hard. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Let the tool do the work. If you force it to grind faster than it really can, then you're going to ruin about any tool that you buy. Grinding cast iron is a slow process. You just have to be patient and let the grinding wheel work its magic. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

19. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I have alot of Dewalt tools and love them.The one I use the most of is a Dewalt metal chopsaw.Can't live without it.But I also buy alot of cheap tools from Harbor Freight and the flea market.I have about 5 grinders made by various manufacturers(black and decker,porter cable,etc..) and some of them are industrial sized.I don't pay more than $10 to $15 for used power tools at the flea market and garage sales.I bought a Stihl gas powered concrete saw(cuts steel very well!!) for $30!!!They last for a long time usually and when they die I sell them at my garage sale to people who think they can fix em.In the end...they're almost free!!!

20. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i've got the 4 1/2 dewalt and love it. i beat the snot out of it with no issues. everyone who see's my shop calls me the dewalt poster child (so many little black boxes), but for me, they work all the time and i've never had one break.