Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why not weld my D60 spiders untill I get my detroit in - trouble???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Apr 8, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Other than having to unlock a hub every so often to turn.. why not? I'm still a ways off fromt getting a detroit in there.. or ARB (wish I could afford an OX) and I'll have to replace the carrier anyway so in the meantime why not? I'm sick of missing trips because I'm ill equipped up front. I'm thinking about doing it in the next few days so I can start to play a little harder. Are you folks breaking your stock hubs like this?

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

A lot of mudders do this mod, not real good for a rock environment, but from the videos that you have shown us you hit areas that have a lot of dirt so you should be fine.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I dont think it will turn
    lemme know how it works out

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

turning will be very interesting. With a detroit up front, you can still idle and coast though turns...

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

My friend did this to his front 60 (under a Wrangler!). He typically just locks in one hub until he gets to a hard part. I'm not sure how he likes it since it's only been on a few rides since getting completed. The downside is that I've seen him get hung up in some mud holes and ruts that he wasn't expecting to have trouble with, and then somebody has to slog through the mud to lock the other hub....

He also had his old Dana 30 front welded, but it had a axle disconnect system with one the manual control Posi-lock units on it. Basically it was the same as driving with one hub locked until he pulled the handle on the Posi-lock and it locked it in.....kind of like a poor man's ARB.....

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm going to do it. Worst case scenario is that I'll have to unlock the inside hub to take a tight corner... but I probably wouldn't have made it that far without the front being locked so either way, I'm ahead of where I am now. Thanks for everyones input, I'll tell you how it works out!

That auto locking hub trick is kinda slick.. but we dont see much mud here so at worst I'd get a little dusty.