Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why not weld the tubes to the pumkin ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Jun 28, 2000.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Shawn's post about the leak in his 14 bolt mentioned that welding the axel tubes to the pumkin is not a good idea, why??
    My D60 is welded, is the thought that it creates a weak spot in the tube??
    Anyone have a real world experiance with a failer because of a weld??
    Thanks

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

you can't weld the tubes to the pumpkin because the tubes are cast iron (the pumpkin may be also) so the weld never really "takes" to the tube metal because of the two different heat ranges and consistencies of the different metals.....I think but I'm not a welder...I just blow stuff up.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

can't?? do you mean shouldn't??
    Mine ARE welded allready. I look at the welds from time to time and don't see any cracks or nothin, I also have some welds at the ends of the axel tubes. So it would seam that the metal welds just fine??
    I duno I guess i'll just drive it hard and if it breaks it breaks.........

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I'm not even sure where I heard or read this. I may call some axle shops and get their opinion. The silicone or JB Weld stuff would probably work for my problem but I'd rather weld it. I'll let you know if I find anything.

5. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

I have a aquaintance that races cars and used to have problems with the axle tubes twisting in the pumpkin with hard launches. His solution is to weld the tubes to the pumpkin and he necer had a problem. I have heard of many racers doing this. I can probably ask why on another message forum dealing with things like this that I know of. Most people say you shouldn't do it but I think its because its a different welding process or different type of wire used to weld it with. If nobody comes up with a answer I will ask on the other forum but I do know it can be done safely and be stronger than not welding. A race car creates a different harshness to the drivetrain compared to a truck but I would figure if welding is strong enough for a 9 or 10 second car in the quarter then it should be good enough for a truck.

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey thats great[​IMG]
    If you could confirm with you buddies that would be awsome!!
    I have had my rear in there and welded for several years now and have had 0 issues so I think it's safe to say as long as it's welded by someone who understands HOW different metals can be welded together then it should be strong!!![​IMG]

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I contacted a couple places and both said they were not comfortable with welding the seam because of the different metals (cast iron pumpkin and steel tube). I guess it can be done though.

Shawn

8. They don't reccomend welding the tubes to the punkin because it limits the twist/flex of the individual tubes. The plug welds are basically to hold them in place.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I was under the impression that the tubes are not supose to have twist or flex in them??? Isn't that the job of a spring pack??
    Anyhoo i'm welded allready so no worries [​IMG],Acunamatada, time will tell.
    I'm sure if anything ever happeds to my D60 you all will be among the first to hear about it[​IMG]

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I welded my D44 frontend a couple weeks ago on the advice of a jeep builder here. He said he's seen several jeeps with spun center sections on the tubes. hell the plug welds are tiny on a 44. We heated up both the pumpkin and the tube with a rosebud and then welded them up. They got plenty of penetration on both pieces and I don't ever have to worry too much about spinning it up. Now the 14B...well we just left it alone. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

11. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

You won't hurt the tubes by welding, and they'll stay in place for sure. The only problem is as others have pointed out, that you really shouldn't weld cast iron parts, as the heat can lead to cracks on the center housing. Some types of center houings can be welded because they are made out of stamped and welded steel, so it really depends on the type of axle.

12. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

My brother worked for Mark Williams for 5 years and they welded the Dana 60 tubes all of the time. I also have talked to ESAB and they said it is not a problem to weld it. They told me to use All State 60 rod. This is Tig welding rod. The key is to pre-heat the cast iron and then weld it up and let it cool slowly. Also you can weld the centers up with stainless rod and preheat it also. I have done it to my Dana 60 and 44 and have never had a problem.

Donovan

13. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

You can weld them as long as you use the correct filler wire and preheat it to the right temperature range. If I can find my handbook I'll look up the info. I'm a welder, and I blow stuff up too! This is going to be a busy weekend!

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

14. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I saw an article in one of the 4x4 mags some time ago that talked about this. They were saying something about the corporate axles not being strong enough because of the spot welds that hold the pumpkin in place. They recomended welding a bead all the way around it like you all are talking about. But I dont remember them saying anything about how to properly do this.

15. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i really dont know much, but i can tell you what i heard.
    if you weld the tubes you may misalign them, you need to weld them with a pair of junk axles in them so that they stay straight.
    as far as welding dissimliar metals, it can be done but it has a different procedure (i have no idea what it is).
    but if it is done right, i heard that there is no down side.

Knife.