Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why now ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The K5 has been sitting for a long time, I've got it up for sale. Guy took it for a test drive a few days ago, everything ran fine. Today I was going too take it too the store and now it won't back up. I couldn't check forward because it's parked up against the bushes. Any ideas ?? If it's low on tranny fluid would that keep it from going into reverse ?? I checked the transfer case, it shifts fine into all gears. Damn it, I basicly got it sold, but I want to cure this problem before the new owner buys it. I can't sell it for my asking price if the tranny poops out. I'll probley have too drop my price if nothing else. I will be completely honest about it.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

In all my GM autos I've owned . Every time it was too low on fluid , it would take a long pause to go into gear /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Definately check the fluids- Also check the cable. Make sure everything is ok. Otherwise.. I dunno. I'd also try checking to make sure the notches are in the proper position. Sometimes the dash indicator of gear isnt the right one. Good Luck

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

When tried driving one of my trucks that was low on ATF (unknowingly) it took alot of gas to get it moving. Almost like I had a really high stall converter.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That what I meant to say , the long pause was just like that , a higher stall /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My 74 K20 lost reverse too,after sitting a few months--and filling the tranny back up full didnt help this time--its kinda weird,I did hear a few strange squealing noises last winter while backing out of a snowbank,but it seemed normal until I parked it,then it seemed like the clutches for reverse either wont engage,or the splines stripped out or something,anyhow no revere== no truck,no plowing with that one anymore--this was its final nail in its coffin--between frame rust ,cab rot,cracked windsheild,rotted rotors and oilpan--its time to part it out I guess /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif
    Usually reverse dies first in most GM tranny's,especially the TH350's,followed by the foreward gears shortly thereafter.Sorry to hear yours is acting up--seems your luck is the same as mine--I nearly sold my truck to a guy who liked the flatbed and crane for 1200 bucks about 5 months ago--shoulda jumped on it!Now its worth squat--worth more in pieces than a whole!. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Dumped a couple of quarts of ATF in it and it back right up. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I didn't drive it far, just turned it around in the driveway. But everything seams too be working okay.

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Good to hear!

9. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Same thing happened to mine except for I can't figure out where the ATF is leaking from there isn't oil any where on the drive train but it's magicaly disappearing.........

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not sure, but I think mine is leaking at either the front seal, or at the front pump. I told the guy I'm selling the K5 to about it. He has another K5 for parts so he's not worried about it, so that's all good. Now if he'd just get his money, I'll be happy too sell it to him. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If your tranny has a vacuum modulator (TH350,TH400)it might have a ruptured diaphram,allowing tranny fluid to get sucked into the motor and burned,leaving no evidence of leaks--it usually makes white smoke in the exhaust when this happens,(and the tranny will shift weird or feel like its slipping)but not always,sometimes all you notice is a low fluid level when the tranny starts acting up.Just pull the vacuum hose off and see if any tranny fluid is in it--if so,you need a new modulator valve. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif