Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why on EARTH does Chevy not offer a SFA on their trucks!?!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Nov 27, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Last year, as you may rememeber, i acosted a GM rep for not giving loyal GM people a SFA on their rigs. I am going again to the SF Car Show on Satuday, and will try again.

But really think about it. Why don't they have a SFA? Ford, their sworn mortal enemy is gaining market share due in part to the vasy aftermarket support, and having a SFA surely helps that.

Think of the rig GM could build! FI 502, Allison Tranny, The t-case out of a H2 (lower ratio, IIRC), 14BFF rear end w/ disk brakes, all you need is a D50 (like the Fords_ or a D60 (which Dana still makes!!) and slap it in!

so if you had a 2004 Chevy your sig would look like this:

502FI/Allsion/NP243(?)14bFF/D50 or D60/4.56's/42" TSL's

Ultimate rig it would be with very minor tweaks.

*sign* back the dreaming.

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, the guy I bought my truck from was selling to to buy a ford f350 because of the fact that he could unlock the hubs and run 2 lo, which he couldn't do in the chevy so I hear what your saying about losing the market...

Anyway, I am not very happy with the new 2003 body styles, or the 99-2001 body styles for that matter, so I wouldn't ever buy a new chevy anyway.

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I argee somewhat to the SFA arguement, but apparently GM isn't hurting too much. Last quarter GM sold almost as many trucks as Ford sold it's entire vehicle line(including all of it's makes). Ford is having a lot of quality problems right now, and that is why their stock went below $10 for the first time in a very long time.

I still argue: who spends $45K on a truck and takes it trail riding anyway?

Mike

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I still argue: who spends $45K on a truck and takes it trail riding anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]
    umm, if i had the money to do it and it wouldne hurt my pocket, I WOULD!!.
    maybe i need to mary into bill gates family...
    Grant

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

IIRC, GM doesn't offer a SFA because of the lack of clearance to the oil pan. It figures though....unlimited technology and they're too lazy to redesign because of an oil pan.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

its to bad the early 90's trucks arent SFA...because i like that body style as well..and i see good deals on some of those trucks..with good bodies...and if i could i would love to get a newer truck....but i wont do it cause i have to have a solid axle..i could always change it to SFA..but i dont know whats involved in that...

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea when i went to go get my truck i thought it was a ifs 4x4, since it was an 87, i thought gm changed in 86. i was plesently surprized /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, yes i too can just lock the hubs and use it like 2 lo, which really helps when i am backing up in a confined area, slows me wayyyyyyyy down, so i dont have to keep pushing the clutch down , yea tell me about it i see all these trucks with screwed up front ends, and i hear about when the 4x4 screws up, it get sooooooo pricey, and not to mention the stupid front axles always turn, more wear and tear, it is like driveing with the hubs locked all the time /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. i agree, ford is making sfa trucks, not to mention they look kick ass when lifted, because they have a sfa not ifs. id replace a wheel joint anytime before id replace a stupid half shaft\cv joint /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. if gm would make a /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif and make SFA trucks again that'd be awsome, but the trucks just look so gay now, and so womanish, itd take alot of redoing to make the GM trucks look manly again, its funny i see the GMC 1 ton dulleys in our town (city trucks) they look alright with the grey outline with the square head lights, it would be doable and probly make the trucks ALOT cheaper, that gay IFS stuff is for old men, or people with severe back problems, i would not want to sacrifice ride for durability and reliability. but i have steel rods in my back, and my 1\2 ton is sprung hard, but it dosnt bother me, probly because of my seat absorbs alot of the shock. well i guess its personal preference. but in conclusion GM should make sfa trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

GM should hire me as an engineer and I will guarantee you that the future trucks will have SFA's. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Simple fact of marketablity. Most guys know what job I used to have and who I used to work for. The blue turd sucks as a company, if you have no idea. Let me tell you GM IS the SECOND TO NONE when it comes to suspension and ride. Ford is down in the market and wont see gains regardless of vehicle axle options.... unless/until they get the other problems with their vehicle lines, law suits, and customer service straight. Since most of the guys who actually have a use and really understand the benefit of SFA are a minute fraction of the total consumer base. Can you count how many yuppies you know that really take their Tahoes anywhere close to offroad. Also take in part, what if anything it adds to the "general publics" truck. Most people get the truck for the hauling capabilities, you really have to make sure you have the total stats. when you look at GVWR. IF you go to the FORD website and choose the look up for trucks you can compare the Chevy to the applicable Ford. Really, why has it taken them so long to make a power plant in the 6.0L range that can keep up. And they arent listing the avail. 6 speed manual that is avail. for GM either. BTW, dont hold your breath about the automatic 6 speed TURD is going to be offering. Point is they cant, research and development funding isnt there. They are banking on the expeditions and explorers. Back on the ball, it would be fincially retarded for GM to make all the trucks back to SFA. Besides, if IFS is so bad why did the H1 have it? Really, from a product development side. If GM were to make a specialty unit for these type of modifications than they could see what sales would look like. Sorry for a long and drawn out rant. Just thought that this part hasnt been said yet. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Besides, if IFS is so bad why did the H1 have it

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, compare the IFS in the H1 to the IFS in a chevy truck... Huge difference in strength and durability. Not to mention coil springs vs. torsion bars... Plus you have to look at what a hummer was designed for, blasting accross the deserts of IRAN and occasional mud and water crossings. Not crawling through moab, IFS doesn't offer any articulation unless your talking big buck custom setups.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

For construction running, I've been seeing the new Chevy HD outnumbering the F250/350.
    I think, if anything, they should have a SFA OPTION, think about it...
    Better yet, go back to the old days where Chevy dealers would custom make their own cars and trucks...have a dealer start marketing SFA trucks made at the dealer...

12. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have to say I agree w/ you for the most part. Its just too bad they didnt make the HD line SFA, like the SD line is for Ford.

If I were in the market for a "newer" truck, I would go Ford SD. I just love them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And now all that being said, they dont offer SFA rigs cuz theyre morons! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

HEHE a Yenko 2500! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif How 'bout a Motion Performance 1500. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thats a great theory, but thanx to rampant lawsuits for a vehicle performing the way you wanted it/ ordered it, and you wrap it around a pole, well never see dealer built super cars again I dont think. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Thats the EXACT reason why I cant do any performance work, lifting, lowering, or ANYTHING beyond the way it came from the factory at the shop. Too many risks of getting sued. I can do whatever I want to my cars, trucks and such but I can do no customer work whatsoever. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Well, this seemed to be a smash on Furd's current investment value, which is not the case. I don't care if it is trading at .33 cents, the point remains, with all this technology, you can't offer a SFA?

the SFA is cheaper, easier to maintain, more functional and infinately stronger. There is a reason people pay for D60's and give away IFS after going to SFA.

I am Chevy loyal to the bone. But i have to say if i were to buy a new truck, it wouldn't be a Chevy. It would probably be a Dodge, just because of the CTD, but ford would be next because of the Powerstroke Deisel and the SFA. I am not conviced that the Duramaz will be able to compete long term with the CTD, but with a FI 502, who the **** cares!? My freind has a 2500HD with a 502 and the thing towed my K5 home from hollister like it was a bag of groceries.

Heep came out with the Rubicon version of its junk, is it too much to ask for chevy to release the "Moab" version of a 2500HD?

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Ford ditched the D50 in the F350 &amp; is useing the D60 again. I don't remember whats in the F250.
    On the SFA, what is funny is the large GM trucks use a SFA for the 2WD, but IFS for the 4WD. That just seems odd to me. I doubt they will go back because most people don't wheel their 4x's and don't care.
    As for the Jeep Rubicon, Jeeps are about the only new truck I see on the trail in any large #s. This means they have a market for the thing. Like it or not there are not many new Tahoes on the trail. Partly due to equiptment, but I think it has more to do w/ price. You could buy TWO striped down TJs fot the price of a 'burb; or buy a TJ Sport, add Dynatrack D60s F&amp;R, and buy a good trailer for the cost of a 3500HD.

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the new fords kick ass big time!! i would not mind one of those at all!! very nice truck....would def. take it over the new chevy...and the new body style for chevy sucks...the one befor it and down are all good..but this is wear i gatta draw the line! lol...but im getting of topic...also i think dodges are SFA as well...also would not mind one of them...

17. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i think chevy does need to go old school, making the vehicle to fit the consumer, haveing differnt option pakages, with the sfa and the ifs, ive never owned an ifs truck ever! never cared for it, looks to compliacted, and when it ****s up, it chews up tires, i dont like it, id rather work on somthing that i understand well, then try to tinker with a chevy completely computerized truck. i think chevy should stop manufactureing trucks and just call them bed-cars /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

18. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Why on EARTH does Chevy not offer a SFA on their trucks!?!?

Simple,
    G.M.'s Independent Front Suspension is vastly superior to it's Solid Axle Counter-parts.

IFS is:
    - Safer: With the ability to position the tire's contact patch in nearly any position, as it relates to the road surfaces and chasis position - IFS has the ability to take full advantage of the avalible traction.
    - Predictable (safer-still): By-design, a IFS system can be made to adjust to road-conditions / steering in-puts in a very predictable manner - giveing the driver a feeling of "total-control" in any situation. The same can not be said for SFA designs (again, by design anything that effects one-tire will have an impact on the other, as-well as the inability to complettly eliminate "Bump-Steer" with a SFA suspension design)
    - IFS is cutting edge, it has been continuasly improved, reenginerd and redisigned, through-out it's life. SFA haven't changed much since they crossed the great plains on 38" wooden waggon wheels.
    - Blah, Blah, Blah... I could bore you with more... but I'm not writeing a book here, just tring to make a point.

And that point is:
    By design, a IFS system is vastly superior to it's SFA counter-part, in meny ways. In ways that are not covered or discused by the SFA fan-club. Don't be fooled by magazine articals, and Web-Wheelers.
    Independent Front Suspension has it's place in this world, and by the same token - so does a Solid Front Axle - both designs have advantages - and disadvantages.

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

2500HD with a 502

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's not a 502 it's a 496.

20. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I think the 4x4 HD's should be SFA or somthing like that so you have a choice and make everyone happy BTW I would love to see Chevrolet come back out with a SFA in 1/2-1ton or atleast 1