Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why Quadrajet?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelnut46, Feb 11, 2002.

1. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

I see that virtually everyone here prefers the Quadrajet carb above all others - especially the Edelbrock performer carbs. I was originally thinking of switching to a Edelbrock #1406 and a dual plane in effort to get some kind of gas mileage for my daily driver. It has a 350, about 100,000 miles, single exhaust and 3.07 gears on 31 inch tires. This thing is a PIG! I get between 8-10 mpg. I drive between 20-40 miles a day so mpg matters.
    So what makes the quadrajet a better carb than the Edelbrock- especially at 2 times the price?

Bill
    '77 GMC Jimmy
    '46 chevy pickup
    '67 Chevelle Malibu

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Edelbrock makes several different designs. One of them is a copy of the Q-jet and works the same.

The secret of the Q-jet is in its centrally located float bowl that makes the carb run better at angles than other carbs with external float bowls.

It is also blessed with small diameter primary throttle bores that help produce smooth performance and good torque at low RPM typical to off roading.

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Just as a word of advice I would try the JET q-ject before the edelbrock one after what GREG72 went though with his,Very soon I will try the jet one my self .....

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

NOSmog,

HAHAHAHAHAHA...... yeah I've really got everyone panicked about the latest Q-Jet haven't I? Just to update you, I finally gave up and brought my K5 to a local speed shop that was recommended by a fellow CK5er. He is going through and checking everything out for me.....I am not picking it up until it runs RIGHT!!!!

If by some strange chance, he can get the thing running right with the current 750-squarebore carb....I "may" bring over the Q-Jet (the replacement one) and have him try to make it work. Contrary to what people might think....I would like to have a "Happy Ending" to my Q-Jet story!!!! [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Cause the only thing better is Fuel injection.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yeah but the latest 4wheeler mag says the new q-jet performer rpm is the next best thing to EFI... he said this carb is the way to go.....who knows....

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/31084112FenSPdZOrR>Pics of buildup</a>78 Chevy 3/4 - 14" on 40"x17x16.5 Hawgs

7. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

I have an Edelbrock Q-Jet. Put it on about two years ago. It's awesome, bolted right up (except a custom choke pull-off rod for my devorced choke), fired right up, some minor tuning and haven't touched it since.

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA
    I know, I can't spell!

8. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

So for mostly street driving, towing and off road to the fishing hole is the Edelbrock performer series carb still not recommended? I have used it in street applications and will eventually put one on my '46 but that is strictly light duty street action - like a car. It is 1/2 the price of a Q-Jet and smaller CFM so I'm thinking it will be cheaper to run the Jimmy. Or is Q-Jet the only way to go for a this application.

Bill
    '77 GMC Jimmy
    '46 chevy pickup
    '67 Chevelle Malibu

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Wheelnut,

I know that Edelbrock sells an "offroad kit" for their Performer series carbs. I think it's around $15, and it supposedly will help the carb in more angled-positions. I think that GoKarterGo used one on his truck....?

It miight keep you going for a while longer......and let you decide if the time you spend offroad is getting too unpleasant (too many stalls, flooding, stumbling when climbing, etc).

If you can get a "good" Q-Jet, it is supposed to be about as good as it gets!!!!....I wouldn't have any personal experience with that yet!!!!....... [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

10. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

why the quad?!?! did you see those secondaries??? and to think that you control them is just sweet. you want gas mileage keep the vacuum low, you wanna go, then peg it.

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think that the Q-jet is the best carb EVER made! Insted of dishing out the $$$ for a new or blueprinted one just buy Doug Roe's book on Q-Jets and do it your self...very good book.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Quadrajet has smaller primaries than a square bore 600, so if you keep your foot out of the pedal, your cruising mileage will be better.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A Q-Jet, although more CFM than an Edelbrock Performer, will most likely get better fuel economy than the Edelbrock because it has smaller primaries.

I have an Edelbrock 1404 500 cfm Performer Series carb. It works okay, but it's not a Q-Jet.

I personally don't care for TBI. The only thing I'd trade any carb for is some type of port fuel injection.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles