Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why should i replace my cap and rotor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Dec 10, 2002.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

what would be some symtoms of the cap and rotor gone bad, i dont have much experience in this department, please help with this. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif. btw it is an 87 350 TBI.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Take it off and look for corrosion or cracks in the cap and worn parts. I always replace both cap and rotor at the same time. It should be pretty obvious if it needs replacing.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Suffering gas mileage is an indication.

Take the cap off...look at the 8 metal electrodes in the cap and the the one metal piece on the end of the rotor. If they look black/burnt, replace the cap and rotor. Especially replace them if the metal electrodes are melted away at all (not uncommon for this to happen). It's a good thing to replace the cap and rotor when the contacts are melted a bit because in the condition they are in, the spark has to travel a longer distance through the air - not good performance-wise.

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

alright, bad gas mileage, any other indications of it going bad. how about wires? im thinking of replaceing the cap and rotor, do the wires last, i dont know how old any of this stuff is, i replaced the spark plugs because i broke one off /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif, my wrong, but still pissed me off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif