Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why so much camber? it looks like a dune buggy!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, Apr 22, 2001.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i just finished putting my 8 lug d44 and new springs in, but it something aint right...first of all, a little history...i am not totally sure the year of this d44.. the knuckles on it were thrashed, so i put the knuckles, tie-rods, and spindles off of my 89 10 bolt on it...everything bolted right up....i kinda figured the toe-in would be off, therefore i left the new meats in the garage and put some old ones on...why is there so much positive camber??? the inside of the tires dont even touch the ground!! could this be because of the later model 10 bolt spindles?? i have both of them on with the key way facing up, should i turn them over? or switch sides?? i know the camber cant be adjusted like on a car, so this is really baffeling me!! any help would be VERY helpful.. also, does anybody have any ideas on how to get the toe close in the drive way?? like using a tape measure or driving over sand and looking at the pattern...seems like i have heard about these, just wondering......thanks
    rob

AIRBORNE!!

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Not sure about the camber issue. For slight adjustments, you can put shims between the knuckle and the spindle. When you get it aligned, ask the tech if you need to add shims there or at the spring mounts.

As for setting the tow, with the front end on jacks and the wheels and tires removed, c-clamp a straight, 4' long piece of something to each rotor, mark the pieces eqaul distances from the center (the farther out the better), and point the wheels straight ahead. Then use your tape measure to set the toe straight or just slightly toed in.

If your just driving it to the alignment shop, just use the tape measure with the tires on. You want to be straight in front of and behind the axle. It helps to have two people when you do this. We had to do this to a buddie's truck coming home from Moab last week.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

You can adjust the camber by rotating the bushing on top of the knuckle. A new one should of came with the new ball joints.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Are you talking about the ball joint adjuster? That shouldn't have much affect on camber, it is just to get rid of any slop due to tolerances in the parts. On TTB Fords, you can change the inserts in the upper axle mounts for the ball joints. Then you adjust camber, as well as caster, as you rotate them since they place the ball joint off-center in the hole. I have never seen a camber kit like this for Chevy's, though.

If the insides of the tires are off the ground, it is very messed up. You must have the wrong parts on there.

If you go ahead and set the toe, just remember that it will have to be set again after the camber is fixed.

FWIW, I have set the toe by myself before and then put it on an alignment rack and had them tell me that everything is OK. There is nothing easier to align than a solid axle Chevy.

<font color=green>"MAN THOUGHT HURT BUT SLIGHTLY DEAD" --Providence (R.I.) Journal</font color=green>

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

its a lot better now...i looked at the old tie rod and counted the threads on each side of the adjustment sleeve....this helped alot....the insides of the tires were only far enough off of the ground not to leave marks on my drive when i drove back and forth....its great now, the excessive toe made the camber look worse than what it was....still going to get it aligned before i put my new tires on though....

before, i could smell rubber as i drove down the road!!!

AIRBORNE!!