Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why stay diesel?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ramack, Jun 20, 2004.

1. ramack

ramack Registered Member Premium Member

Ok, I need some pros/cons for diesel....

This is my situation.

I bought a '77 K5 when I was in Colorado at a very good price. It has a 350 4spd and that's the main reason I bought it. I used it mostly for hunting, fishing and camping. I now live in Mississippi and with the higher humidity (from 15% to +90%) the already rusted body is worse and won't pass inspection.

I've come across a '83 K5 with a much better body, but it has a 6.2L diesel with an auto trans. I'm planning on doing a body swap unless someone can convince me that the 6.2L is worth keeping. Presently it doesn't run, but I'm told will run if the starter is replaced and mounting bolts/threads are repaired.

I don't do much towing, and will continue to use it for hunting, camping and ocassionally some light muddin'. In the mountains I had this thing on angles and bouncing around that the carb flooded out. Besides that torque and it's tough to kill a diesel once started, those are the benefits of the diesel.

Any input is appreciated.

Rich

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

1) fuel mileage.

If you don't like diesels then it may be hard to justify. I would try to get it started and see what you think about it. Maintenance wise its similar to a 454, 7-8qts oil-same filter. Fuel filter is a little more, air filter needs changing a little more often. Glow plugs will last longer than spark plugs, if quality ones are used.

Reliabilty wise, crap shoot. I've seen more 350s with 200-300K+ than 6.2/6.5s.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Double the fuel mileage or better and it is way better off road. No brainer IMO.

Rene

4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

5. ramack

Is there any problem swapping out the auto tranny w/overdrive with my 4 spd from the '77? Can it handle the torque? I'm guessing that if I use the gas 4spd, I would need an overdrive with a diesel.

Rich

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You can use that SM465 behind the diesel. It is the same 4 spd that the factory put behind them. My personal preference would be to run the 4 spd behind the diesel as it will hold up better and last longer than the 700R4 auto that is behind it now. The early 80's 700R4's are very weak in factory form (but has probably been replaced in the past on a 1983).

As far as OD gear, for highway cruising you would benifit from adding an overdrive to the SM465 but weather or not the added cost would be cost effective will depend on your use of the truck.

7. tRustyK5

The SM465 can handle the torque way better than the 700R-4 ever could. As for needing overdrive...couldn't hurt but it's not necessary. The 6.2 is just as happy cruising at 2700 rpm as it is at 1900 rpm. You'll just gain a few more mpg with overdrive.

Cruise rpm on my truck is 2600 rpm and it still gets 16.2 mpg on the freeway. It's not much worse in town...roughly 15.5 mpg.

My 6.2 installed:

[​IMG]

Port matched and polished intake:

[​IMG]

Wheeling in Moab (I'm in a pic posting mood LOL)

[​IMG]

If you need a pic of anything in particular let me know...I got me a new digi-cam and the Jimmy is only 20 feet from the puter. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Rene

8. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

What no Chevy engine red ?

Better fuel mileage.
    Less crap to worry about.

9. tRustyK5

The red 6.2 was only 82...after that they were all black. I chose "GM corporate blue" for mine. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Rene

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

does polishing the intake to match the ports make that much of a difference? If it does, I want to do it too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Do the body swap, and give me the vin/ rest of frame/engine/ etc. I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands!

12. tRustyK5

The intake ports were over 1/4" smaller than the gasket opening and the ports in the heads. I was astounded at how poor the casting was. I used a carbide burr on an air powered die grinder and it took me about an hour to do.

Anyways, I changed injection pump and injectors at the same time. The right foot dyno noticed a difference...

It's an easy and cheap mod, not much to lose but a bit of your time to do it.

Rene

13. ramack

The flat tow has begun! Can't wait to get this thing home and began to inspect it closely. I believe the frame is bent, so I'm most likely proceeding with the body swap with my '77.

14. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

15. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

did not know that.

looks good mine is half red and half grease/oil

16. tRustyK5

The top half of mine is blue, the bottom half is black and wet...gotta do a rear main seal soon /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

17. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Wow!