Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why steering arm?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Dec 3, 2000.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I was wondering why do people usually always do a dropped steering arm when hey do a lift when it is such a pain to get off? Why don't people do a dropped pitman a dropped drag link? I am doing a 4" shackle flip over x-mas hopefully and I don't really want to wrestle w/ the steering arm if one of the other options will do the same thing. Thanks!

Dawson
    88 K5

2. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

alot of experts think it's better to have a straight draglink instead of the s-shaped ones. I hated my dropped draglink because you have to take it apart to adjust it.

3. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I just added a 4" steering arm this weekend. Not a problem. I lubed it up with wd40 and planned to leave it for a day, but couldn't resist rappin it with the bfh. Five or six raps with a large punch and hammer between the bolts and the cones came loose. From there it's easy. Also the price of the steering arm is alot more wallet friendly. I paid 50 bones as opposed to $200 for the bent up drag link. Good luck.

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Any other reasons besides the price?

Dawson
    88 K5

5. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Not only is it cheaper but it also works better. When you lift your truck the distance from the pitman arm to the steering arm will be increased, right? what this does is increase the operating angles of the drag link, now you can add one of those fancy s shaped ones but you are not really correcting anything with those. The forces will still be transfered from Point A the, Pitman arm, and point B the steering arm in a straight line from A to B, no matter what shape the actual link is in. What you want to do to keep Turning radii the same and keep bump steer to a minimum is to keep the ends of the two arms as close, up and down, as possible, and keep the angel of the line connecting them as close to flat as possible, that is why a crossover setup is so effective, the drag link becomes a lot longer and the angles decrease. By getting the raised arm the slope of the drag link becomes flatter and is a better fix, a dropped pitman would also do basically the same thing , but the arms are cheaper than the pitmans and you get more correction for your money.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Ok, thanks for all the replies, I think steering arm is going to be what I replace.

Dawson
    88 K5