Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why the backing plate swap on the 14bt??

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by yeild2me, Jan 23, 2001.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

steve- just wondering why you needed to swap the backing plate from the 14bt sf on your ff? my truck is exactly like yours(same color and year!!) and i will be doing this swap soon. is it a MUST do item??

stephen- i recently bought the shackle flip from ya and will be doing this the same time i do the 14 bt, anything i need to know, or is it pretty much the same as my 10 bt?

thanks guys,,,this site rocks!!

AIRBORNE!!

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The backing plate from a 3/4 - 1 ton truck (14 ff) has a bolt in style e-cable that will not work with your current 10-bolt push in style. The semi float 14 uses the same push in style that the 10-bolt uses and is the same size as the 14 ff so it is an easy bolt up, of course you can just swap over to disk brakes and not even worry about it. It is only a must do item if you want an emergancy brake and your not going to disks. One thing to note though, using the e-brake adjusts your rear brakes also.
    Shackle flip will be the same for the 14 bolt, you will need new u-bolts though (14 has thicker axle tubes than the 10)

Good luck

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

ok,, i see what you are talking about..thanks

AIRBORNE!!

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

That's pretty much it on the flip kit, new ubolts and go for it. The 14 bolt is about a 3.5" tube, 10 bolt is about a 3" tube.
    Thanks

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD