Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why the heck did GM do this???!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Why does my 305 have frost plugs at the back end of the motor????/forums/images/icons/mad.gif I have a little coolant leak from above the starter, so I pulled it the other day thinking it was the frost plug above and behind the starter. Guess how choked I was when I realized it was coming from in between the tranny and the engine!!!!!/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif And it's not the head gasket- I checked it with a mirror and everything looks dry up top.

I assume the only permanent fix is to pull the tranny and flywheel and replace the plug. What a stupid long job to replace a $1.50 part!!!!! Does anybody have anything to add? If you say nice things it will make me feel better..../forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep, that was definitly a stupid move by GM. My buddies brother had to replace on for some guy. It was good for him because he made a nice piece of cash off of it, but it is a big PITA.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Better a hidden frost plug than a block cracked in the same place? : )

4. Can Can

Yeah, I guess so....../forums/images/icons/tongue.gif But are frost plugs REALLY necessary at the back of the block? Wouldn't the ones along both sides provide enough protection? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.....

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would guess they are necessary...even if they're a PITA to replace. Just a thought Paul, but if I were you I'd replace every single frost plug while yer at it. If one is weak or rusted enough to leak then the others aren't far behind. I'd pull the motor out, replace all the freeze plugs and whatever gaskets necessary and drop it back in. Should be a good weekend project, just bring the backhoe home for the hoist duty.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

rene

6. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Aren't those holes where the "freeze plugs" go for removing the sand molds after they cast the block? Did they design them with freeze protection in mind or did they get that name because they pop out if your coolant freezes?

7. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Freeze plugs don't really keep the block from cracking. I think they are really more to do with casting.

Replace them all with brass plugs and you'll never have to worry again.

BTW, every Chevy V8 I have ever seen has freeze plugs in the back. It is not unique to the 305

8. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Looks like we're on the same page Jimmy88

9. Can Can

There are two plugs at the back of the motor. I know that for sure. How many are on each side? Do you have to pull the motor to get to all of them?

Rene, I'm picking up what you're laying down./forums/images/icons/wink.gif Replacing all the plugs is part of the plan, brother!!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Jimmy88 & RD are right on the money.
    It's core plugs or a solid block of iron...
    Jim

11. Can Can

SO how many are there total on a SBC? And where are they located on the block? As I mentioned above, I already know about the two at the back. I'm also under the impression there's at least two more on each side of the block.....

12. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I believe there are 6 total.2 on each side and the 2 in the back.

13. Can Can

That's what I thought.........Thanks!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I just found a pinhole in a freeze plug right behind the pass side engine mount in my 454!/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif.

I just finished installing the engine and I refuse to remove it right away. Is it OK if I seal it with some high quality epoxy?

15. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've done this trick on several 3208 Caterpillars (worst freeze plugs in history) - Clean the plug really good with a wire brush, drain the coolant to a level below the plug, and load it up with JB Weld - make sure not to fill the seam, so in the event of freezing it can pop out.

16. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Check with your local Snap-On dealer. They make a special tool for installing freeze plugs in tight areas. With this tool you would probrably only need to pull the tranny back about 5 inches or so... Have fun !!!

17. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

here's the ghetto method-

yeah epoxy like jb weld will work, but i prefer marine-tex. i think it is stronger. i could be wrong, BUT-

our 1st towboat was the ultra-pimp chapparal 187, with the mercruiser big fourbanger- essentially 1/2 of a ford 460, with one 460 head. since the boat doesent use the emission stuff, the holes are all plugged up like a freezeplug. it blew one out, and made a godawful noise with exhaust exiting into the engine compartment, making it run bad.... i gooped some marine-tex into the hole and forgot about it. that was in 1996......

greg

18. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

SBC's have 8 expansion plugs, with the exception of SOME 400's that have 10. There are 2 in front, 2 in back, 2 on each side, with SOME 400's having 3 on each side.

19. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The 400's with 3 on each side are 4 bolt main blocks. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

20. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wayne, just so you know, not all 400 4 bolts have 3 plugs on the side.