Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why the heck did GM not make 1 ton suburbans???

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by muddysub, Nov 29, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

it would be so cool it you could buy a 1 ton suburban from the factory. a D60 and a 14BFF in a suburban right off the line. i don't understand why they didn't make them they're big enouhg for it. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The need for an 8" channel frame was probably deemed unnecessary on a full-bodied truck. I bet they were thinking you'd have a tough time stuffing 3000lbs in the back of a 3/4-ton Burb - let alone nearly 4000lbs in a 1-ton. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They should simply have offered the Dana 60 front on heavy 3/4-tons - that would have made everyone happier /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what kinda ton you're using, but last I checked, a ton is only 2000 Lbs...

also, they did offer suburbans with D60 fronts in heavy duty configurations. they're as elusive as the factory stock 454 bearing suburbans, but they do exist somewhere.

4. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

since their pretty rare I guess ill convert mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I came one step closer to making mine a 1 ton yesterday. Just picked up an almost complete front Dana 60 and a set of 1 ton rear drums so I can convert the 3/4 ton drums in the rear.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A ton is 1000kg... divided by 0.4536 is 2205lbs.

My diesel Burb weighs 6000lbs (includes full fuel tank, 3 people, and extra seat) and has an 8600lb GVW. That makes for another 2600lbs of available payload - about 1.18 tons.

My guess is a 1-ton SRW pickup weighs about the same (lighter body, but heavier frame/suspension) - so 9400lbs less 6000lbs gives 3400lbs available payload - about 1.54 tons.

The traditional "*-ton" designations are far from an accurate payload rating. They work for relative payload.... you can safely pack roughly double the weight on a "1-ton" as you can with a "1/2-ton" - and a "3/4-ton" falls somewhere in between.

Dana 60 fronts and big-block 4x4 Burbs (91-older) are not factory. Dealer installed, or aftermarket, but definitely not stock.

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Hey u2, here in the States, the only things we weigh in kilos and with the metric system are crystal meth and weed. To us a ton is 2000 POUNDS, hence the confusion... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

the only things we weigh in tons are crystal meth and weed

Wow. Looks like you get an extra 205lbs when you order "1-ton" of BC Bud /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2000... 2205... whatever...

Just pointing out the "looseness" of the 1/2, 3/4, and 1-ton designations [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

9. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Let's get past this! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Build it till it stops breaking, then wheel it harder. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

sorry... going back to lurk mode /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

11. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

It's not directed at you personally, you were just the nearest reply button.

12. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

lol my bad I meant to put Kilo's in reference to the metric system...going back to edit now...all good natured of course /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Children, children, children. Can't we all just get along? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I know that I have seen some K30 suburbans. Now unless I've completely not understood chevys numbering system that would be a 1 ton burb. Although I believe its a 2wd model. As far as tons go. well Thats like trying to figure the differance between a nautical mile and a foot mile. The ton capacity refers to the weight directly over the axle. I have loaded a 3/4 ton with more then its rated capacity but I heard cables snaping in my tires. As far a gross load. The ton rating for the truck is based on rear wheel load, The overall includes passengers. So your previous calculation needs to take that into account. I know you guys wanted to switch topics but I couldn't resist. Sorry! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

14. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

1 Ton suburbans were really manufactured, but vary rare, i have a few photos "And matching VIN's" of true factory 1 ton burb's. But thay were only in 2WD's never seen one in a 4WD. There a as 1 ton burb in a place about 2 hours from were I live in Great Falls, Montana; a construction equipment rental company has it "but not for sale" but it is kind of odd, there are no rear seats just the front bench seat. If I cound figure out how to photos, i will post three photos of true one ton burb's and there matching VIN's

LooksBack

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If you want, email them to me, email address is in my profile and i'll post them in here for you.

16. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    u2slow said:
    Dana 60 fronts and big-block 4x4 Burbs (91-older) are not factory. Dealer installed, or aftermarket, but definitely not stock.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I dunno... if Chevy was willing to sell a 6 door suburban to the government, I'm willing to bet the proper amount of money, or buddy points with a big man at chevy, or a commercial orderers catalog could have landed a 1 ton suburban with matching VIN's from the factory.

on a side note, its not like it takes much in the Effort department to make your suburban into a 1 ton TPI 572HO bearing firebreathing monster of a truck... hell, why even bother with a wimpy D60 at that point, when a 2ton rockwell would slip right in there? then you'd have a K60 suburban... if I had my way, and had some land/a large enough shop to do it, I'd cut a military 6x6 frame to match a suburban 6 door body ( it';d have to be a custom jobber of course) and call it toodamncool... of course, I have no clue how the hell I'd insure such a beast, but lets not worry about that until later... ( I'd truthfully just walk in with the title for the 73 C10 that'd be the VIN basis for it, and tell them that was it. ) Smogging it would be a problem...

whenever I goto the autoparts store for stuff on my K20, I generaly have 3 different years, and weight classes I tell them for engine parts, belts, etc... if its belts, its a 76 C20 350... if its alternator, its a 73 K20. if its anything to do with the ignition, its a 77 C20 pickup. once I drop the 454 in there, I'll get to add 73 C10 to the list, and take 76 C20 350 off... of course, that's going to add to the confusion on the other truck when I drop the engine in there. ( grand master scheme calls for me to put the old tired 350 in the 77 C20, sell it, and then use the suddenly spare mildly built 454 to motivate something fun/cool/wackey/dangerous. )