Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why the wrong side?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Nov 23, 2001.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I just wondered, why is your front axle on the left side? I guess you have enough lift so it doesn't matter, but why did you choose to have the diff on the other side? Was their any advantage, or is that just how that Terra 60R came?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I think the main reason was so that he could use the driver's side drop to clock the 205 up (on a doubler) to achieve an almost flat bottom. Apparently it was not possible (easily) with the passenger side drop.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

PLUS, the driver side D60 is a Ford axle which translates to "high pinion". If you have noticed the Ford D60's, they have a higher pinion angle which will help especially on lifted vehicles.

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It came down to several things, it was really easy to work the 203 rotation out that way, it just bolts into different holes on the back of the adapter, then the shifter stud ends up on top instead of on bottom. The TH700 kicks out on the right side a couple inches, so we had more drivehsaft clearance by running the shaft on the left. I also had a feeling it might be easier to work in the panhard bar with a left side diff, but that was more of a hunch and not a big advantage. since we built the Tera housing, we coud have put the diff on either side, it just worked well on the left. I really don't have the compression travel I'd like due to the pinion getting friendly with the frame and close to the motor, but I have 6" of lift and 7" of bumptravel, so it works pretty well as is.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No problems with the driveshaft hitting the oil filter or anything like that?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It comes close to the filter but stops short, we do use a napa 6061 tallish filter also. If I can modify the front crossmember and shock mounts to get a little more compression travel it may become an issue but I can go to a shorter filter or go remote. Realistically it'll probably stay the way it is for quite a while longer, I'd like to leave it alone for a little while now.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>