Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why when I call into Goodyear they can't give me a price?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Mar 31, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Why when I call into Goodyear they can\'t give me a price?

Called into Goodyear, yeah I need a price on 35" Wrangler AT/S's (I had to try) and MTR's.... Guy answers I dont see those sizes in my book /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif YOUR A DAMN GOODYEAR DEALER AND YOU DONT KNOW WHAT SIZES AND PRICES ARE!

And thats the other thing, WHY THE HELL do you have to call in for prices /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Post a price on your website! I hate this calling into 4wheel parts and looking at websites that says call in for prices... WHY DO PRICES CHANGE on a per call basis, am I the only one that always feels like it a hassle when I can in? I always feel like I'm bugging them (serves them right for posting CALL IN FOR A PRICE ) or that they dont give a-damn about my order.

Example, called goodyear, got the run round trying to get prices and size avalibility /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Call the steel place to get prices on some steel, he ho hummed around like why do I have to lookup the prices [​IMG]

I"M THE DAMN CUSTOMER HERE, I"M WANTING TO ORDER SOMETHING! WTF!
    Same goes with jobs anymore, you can't find a decent place to work thats not out to screw you, GOD-DAMN I WANT TO MOVE!

Sorry, someone else can have my soapbox now.....
    </ [​IMG] >

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Re: Why when I call into Goodyear they can\'t give me a price?

Goodyear likes to protect their dealer's margins. If you buy tires at a store that has a big Goodyear sign out front, you are going to get ripped off 9 out of 10 times. Check with Tire Rack or Discount tire to see what they should be selling for.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I run an aplliance parts store. I help all my customers the best I can. Its a shame big businesses don't make it easier on you. I got the run around on tires before too. I ended up buying a lesser known brand from a mom and pop store, and they treated me right /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Exactly. The reason is various margins. They're doing so to protect their retailers and for good reason.

Where I work, no two customers get the same price on any one part. I personally think it's a totally bullshit way to do business in this day and age, but keep this in mind the next time you buy ANYTHING at a retail store:

1. Nothing is worth a dime more than you're willing to pay for it.

2. If nobody bought anything because the price was outragous, the price would go down eventually.

5. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

try tires .com I deal with discount tires now and have no problems with them yet. They will also give prices on the internet for whatever size tire they stock. I got a price for 37-13.50-15 and they were only 202 and change.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

You work at Car Quest? I didn't know you could haggle prices at parts houses. Think I can get some $20 alternators? I usually go to Auto Zone because it's a lot closer and generally cheaper, but my neighbor runs the town Car Quest, so when I go in there I usually get the "good neighbor" discount /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I really didn't know you could haggle at parts houses though, or is that just on the bigger stuff?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can't haggle the price. But if you had a commmerical account (which is what we generally deal with) everyone has a different billing and pays a different price for the same part.

Walk in customers are always going to pay through the nose, it's how we protect our customers margins when they retail their parts to their customers.

At the dealer though, you can definitely haggle the price, as there are MANY prices for the same part.

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

If you get in good with a parts house they will often put you under an account of some sort. Check the reciept it should say who. I knoe my ball joints have been put under three different companies and I use the cheapest one of them all. As long as you pay for it there it just makes that account look like they have more volume of business and thus the price lowers a little more.

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

All prices are negotiable. Contract law states exactly that. However, if the seller wants a specific price, they do not have to go lower. Your best bet is to get competing stores to give you quotes on similar (or better yet the exact same tire) and then have them meet or beat the other store. The longer you shop, the better deal you can get (generally - although it seems gas prices are likely to climb!) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

2 years ago I went into the dealer asked for a quote on 33" MTR's
    I didn't know what to do when he handed me the quote. It was around $1400,mounted and balanced. I told him it's way too much. He told me I couldn't get a better price anywhere in town. Went to Discount and came back with a quote for $800 with RH warranties. His reply was, you must know someone there. What a turd.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If you get in good with a parts house they will often put you under an account of some sort. Check the reciept it should say who. I knoe my ball joints have been put under three different companies and I use the cheapest one of them all. As long as you pay for it there it just makes that account look like they have more volume of business and thus the price lowers a little more.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can open an account, just fill out a credit ap and they'll open you one. This offers you the benefit of delivery and you get better pricing.

If you live near a commercial auto parts store I recommend that to anyone.