Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why?Why?Why?Why?Why?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by testosterone, Sep 12, 2002.

1. testosterone

testosterone Registered Member

I dont know why this is happening to me..if its not one thing its another. I try to take such good care of her but she keeps letting me down. Latest problem is the motor 'cutting out' on me when driving. It kinda feels like a hiccup. Mash down on the gas and she hesitates. She was feeling quite sluggish also. So I bought a new fuel filter and pcv filter also. Replaced those and took her out for a long romp session and she did fine..then when just tooling home she kinda did it again. My brother (a mechanic) thinks that I might have let the gas tank run low and the fuel pump picked up some dirt...said to fill her up and load it with fuel cleaner...
    I thought maybe the drive line? she idles fine and there are no vibrations??
    my little neon is starting to pull the same thing..strange..all this happens when I have no money.
    Thanks for any help

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Have you been getting gas at the same place? It's possible you could have gotten some bad gas.

3. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I ahve been having the same problem. I have changed those two things out also I have also had it in to the shop to have the carb rebuilt. It still does this though. I thought it was the going o the same gas station thing but I changed different staitions every week and it still does it. It does it allot more when I go around a corner. Please help us .

4. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dont think this maybe it but my friend had someone pull and prank on him and it cost him about 500 dollars until he found out what it was someone had put a small plastic ball in there gas tank and everytime he hammered it or the tank got low the ball would sink and cover the sender and the darn thing would do like your talking about. I dont think this is it but just thought I would throw that in the air..

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

It sounds alot like a fuel pump gettin' ready to die.

John

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I would say fuel pump except you have two cars doing it. If you get gas at the same place with both your cars I would say you got some contaminated gas. Get some "Line dry" it for removing water from the tank. Run it thogut both the car and the truck and see if it clears it up.

7. testosterone

Yeah I noticed she is still doing it this morning. I have been getting gas at a new place and this is actually when the problem statred happening. I put in two bottles of STP fuel cleaner but will get the 'linedry' stuff also. Weird thing with the Neon is that the check engine light is on and the code reads a bad o2 sensor. Guess I will just keep driving her and see if she clears..if not then into the shop for a new fuel pump (its in the tank right?) anybody know a good mechanic in the vegas area?
    thanks again

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ohhhhh. Hmmmm well a O2 sensor could cause simular problems. You truck has one also but it's old enough that it has no why to know it has a bad one unless it just out right stops sending a signal. The Neon actully has 2 O2 sensors. The second one keeps tabs on the first one. If they both start seeing something different then that's when it throws the code. Not sure what in fuel could cause that unless some of the addatives were incorrectly mixed. Leaded fuel will do them in also. Problem is if something in the fuel did cause an issue then you need to get that fuel out before you go in and replace parts.

9. testosterone

well I loaded the blazer up with fuel cleaner (stp and VP racing fuels cleaner) and Pyrol water cleaner for fuel (two of these)..she pings and surges at mid throttle (when the tranny kicks down a gear in between 35-45 mph)..at higher speed it doesnt do it...at idle she is fine..its only at mid throttle and more pronounced with the a/c on. Bad part is I filled her up the other day with teh same Texaco gas station and she got worst (this is before the bad gas idea surfaced)...
    think its time to get rid of the little neon (after i get the check engine light to go off) and buy something reliable and park the blazer..something like a toyota truck for using as a daily driver.