Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why won't crossover work on a D60 and a D44?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Why won\'t crossover work on a D60 and a D44?

Basically what the title says. Why can't you buy a crossover set-up for a D44 and then change it to fit a D60 when you upgrade it? I would like to have a crossover set-up on my truck but I don't have a 60 yet. I really wouldn't want to buy the set-up twice. But it might be a while for the 60 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif What to do /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Why won\'t crossover work on a D60 and a D44?

You can, but draglink length differences will probably cause you to need a new draglink, or to cut it down and shorten it.

3. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can, but draglink length differences will probably cause you to need a new draglink, or to cut it down and shorten it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the steering arms are totally different and won't interchange.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the steering arms are totally different and won't interchange.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry yes you're absolutely correct. I guess that was so obvious that I didn't even think about it.

You'll certainly need a steering arm to fit your axle.

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

The only ting you can reuse without modifying is the 2WD Box and pitman arm. Draglinks are different and so are the steering arms.

[ QUOTE ]
    Why can't you buy a crossover set-up for a D44 and then change it to fit a D60

[/ QUOTE ] Because they are entirely different axles. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

When I swapped from D44 to D60, I used the same Rockrod dropped draglink (and t/r ends) and the same Rockrod tierod (and t/r ends) that I already had. I then bought a Sky-Manufacturing crossover steering arm for the D60.

Piece of cake.
    I even like the fit of the Rockrods better on the D60. There are less threads of the t/r ends sticking out- asking to get bent.

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif And there you have it. Coming from someone who has actually done it.!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

umm ya....i went from 44 to 60....i just bought the ord steering arm and bolted the rest on....my rock rod was a little long on my 44 so i had to cut it and re-weld and tap more...the 60 tie rod is shorter than the 44...my drag link was the same though....

9. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

hmm so it can be done /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Does anyone have pics for me /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif they always make it easier to visualize /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif