Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why wont it work

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-tonmudder, Oct 1, 2006.

1. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

I have several unused parts laying around and am wanting to build a hybrid/truggy type thing.I have a HP Ford 60 that I am wanting to use,I am going to run a 500 caddi motor and a Th400 trans.So here is my question.

Can I take a Ford 205 bore the case to accept a 32 Chevy input,and redrill the case to accept the late round style TH400/NP205 adapter.Could I not also clock the case when I am drilling the holes for the 400 adapter.Sound's like it might work on paper,just wondering if anybody has had any experience with this.

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I dont know about redrilling the case but you can get a doubler kit to use a chevy 203 and a ford 205. that would work for your setup plus youd have the lower gears of the doubler.

3. 1-tonmudder

This is going to be a low budget type thing,so their wont be any doubler.I am going to be running 5:86 gears with 38's so one case should be enough.

4. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can do exactly what you want, but you don't have to bore the Ford case for the 32 spline input, as it already uses the large bearing. You will also have to clearance the adapter for the the shift rods.
    I have an extra long 32 spline input if you need one.
    Jimbo

5. 1-tonmudder

I thought I might could get away with not boring the case.I put a Ford input seal retainer on a Chevy case one time and it worked fine.

6. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

After thinking about it, I remember the ford case has nearly the same bolt pattern as the GM transfer case, just have to elongate one hole. Depending on how much you are going to clock it, you might not need to redrill the face of the ford 205.
    Jimbo

7. 1-tonmudder

One thing I have just thought of is the threads for the shifter are on the RH side of the 400 adapter and they will need to be on the LH side for the ford 205 wont they??Im thinking their might be a boss on that side that I could have threaded.

8. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

You're right, I didn't even think about the shifter. Unfortunately, there's no boss on the other side of the TH400/NP205 adapter.
    Jimbo