Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why wont my 14 bolt FF gears turn when I tighten the caps?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Apr 11, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I attempted to set up the gears in my 14 bolt today and ran into a snag. I got it all set up and the ring gear backlash was .007 with the caps loose but when I tightened them down, the gears would not turn at all. What gives? I tightened the bolts down to 135 ft./lbs. as the Randy's instruction book recomended. Do I need to set the backlash with the caps tightened all the way down? I'm thinkin about just callin a profesional and see if they will come do it for me. Please help I wanna hurry up and get my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif back on the road. Thx

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem. I put a detroit in the back of my truck... I counted the turns the bolts took to get them out on the caps. When I put them back in... I COULDNT TURN ANYTHING!!!
    so I winged it... we will only see in 2 months what happens... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The carrier bolts MUST be tightened to spec before you adjust backlash. Remove the pinion support and then add shims to correct backlash.

I assume you counted the turns on the carrier side bearing adjusters and have that set back as it was before?

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do I need to set the backlash with the caps tightened all the way down?

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Tighten the caps, then adjust backlash. Its easiest to spin the adjusters with the specail tool! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    The carrier bolts MUST be tightened to spec before you adjust backlash. Remove the pinion support and then add shims to correct backlash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative, backlash is set with the carrier adjusters, pinion depth (pattern) is set with shims on the pinion support.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok Jason, you caught me on this one. Regardless, the carrier bolts need to be tight before he does anything. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just have to keep you on your toes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Remove those two bolts that hold the little clip that goes into the holes of the adjusting rings, put something small, like a small screwdriver or whatever and turn them, one to loosen and the other to tighten. Snug them up when the backlash it tight and replace the clips and bolts. Easiest rear end to setup i have ever done.