Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why won't my 4 speed go into gear?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jul 15, 2002.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why won\'t my 4 speed go into gear?

Is it possible to incorrectly install the top cover of an SM 465 so that it won't go into gear at all? I know the front and rear forks were on correctly, but I'm not completely sure about the reverse since I can't see. My truck doesn't have a bolt-in tranny hump so I'm working in a confined area and I refuse to cut the floor out of my truck. I just need to know why you guys think it won't get in gear now.

I honestly wish I'd known how to get the shifter off before I'd pulled the top cover as now it wont work at all.

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Why won\'t my 4 speed go into gear?

First, did you align the shift forks with the correct recesses on the gears when you put the top back on? Once that is done, look down through the shifter hole and align the shift blocks with a big screwdriver. Align them so that the cutout section of each block aligns with the cutout section of the other block. The cutouts will form a square when you have it right (the trans is in neutral when they're lined up right). Now slide the shifter back into place and all should work. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

pull the cover and reinstall it with rev slider half in gear.
    search Krazie87K5's threads on his 465 swap and mainshaft replacement for the lowdown on this issue

4. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

pull 465 and reinstall 350. worked for me /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't have and never had a 350. Had a 700R4 and gave it away (slipped going into 4th gear sometimes anyway). Now I have this SM 465 to deal with.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't have and never had a 350. Had a 700R4 and gave it away (slipped going into 4th gear sometimes anyway). Now I have this SM 465 to deal with.

I got it so now it'll go into 2nd, 3rd, and reverse gears. It will halfass go into 1st and won't go into 4th at all. I'm thinking once I get the engine to run it'll go in all the way but I'm not for sure. If it'll go into 2nd, 3rd, and reverse, is everything okay? I'm thinking I might have to pull the cover again.

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif How dare you insult the 465! I toasted a TH350 before I even left my driveway with my 454! The 465 hasn't even flinched yet! I love my 4spd! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Tim - mj is right on track. Here's some quick ideas before pulling the cover just yet... look thru the hole in the top of the trans. All the slots should be lined up side by side. If they can't be arranged that way, I'm guessing that something with the forks isn't right. To move them, just grab a long screw driver or similar tool then push them into place.

PM me if none of this makes sense... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

8. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

are you pushing the clutch down? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's not even hooked up yet.

LOL I just read your website. Good luck, buddy. You sound just like all my friends. Everyone is gonna SFA an IFS truck and lift it and all that stuff....it rarely happens. I'll believe it when I see it.

Although I'd love to have a newer truck just because of the new fuel injection and nicer interior an an extended cab, I don't really care for the 88-98s anyway, and plus, why do that to a TBI truck? Hell, my '87 has TBI! If you're going to pour money into a newer truck like that, at least get a Vortec one....

But oh well that was way off topic.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You might need to let the vehicle roll a bit out of gear(driveshaft hooked up) for it to go into low (thats fairly common) but I'd tend to think if it goes into other gears easily (even without clutch, as you shouldn't need it with truck not running) then it should go into ALL gears easily. it takes hardly any movement of the vehicle though to allow the gears to "mesh" easily so you can shift. You can always try putting a little (*little*) pressure on the shifter as it starts to roll, to see if it will slip in ok. Once it goes into gear, and you stop moving, it should move in and out of that gear easily.

The 465 spare I just picked up (supposedly running and driving), locks up in low, but I pulled the shifter out and with a flashlight, could easily tell if the "blocks" are lined up right. Unfortunately for me, they are : (

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's what I was thinking. I don't even have a driveshaft for it to do the rolling thing but I've tried wiggling the transfer case yoke and it doesn't seem like it wants to go into granny gear or 4th.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

As of now it goes into 2nd and 3rd fine and reverse. It's a bitch to get out of reverse though. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to pull the cover AGAIN, but I'm not for sure. I've got both inspection covers off and the front fork is on, and obviously the long one is on becuase I have reverse in the tranny.

I just wish I could get past this so I could get my truck going.

13. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I recently took out my TH350/203 for a sm465/203/205...

When my 465 sits (engine not running), sometimes it won't go into Granny or 4th (3rd) either. I have to start the truck, put the clutch out, put the clutch in, then I can get it into Granny or 4th (3rd). It sounds normal to me.

This thing (my Blazer) sounds like a MACK truck now with the granny, I get the "grrr grr grrrrrrrrrr" granny gear start, ALLLLL my neighbors stare when I start in Granny! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 465 rarely grinds into granny. I stick it in second and then slowly into granny and it's much easier.

Rene

15. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I didn't mean it is grinding... just the sound of all those gears running along like a mack truck when they are in their low gears... gggrrRRRRRRrrrrrrr

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Going into reverse easily but out hard sounds like a problem to me. I could see if you were forcing it into Reverse, but not if its going in easy. I haven't had one of these things apart yet, but you'd think if something was bent or worn, going IN to gear would be the problem, not going out, and that it would be fairly consistent for all the gears.

Sorry I don't have more info, I guess its really not that much more work to finish everything up enough to start it, and try driving it a bit, and then find out you need to pull the trans, than just pulling it before you KNOW for sure theres a problem. Few more bolts and thats about it eh?

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

dont be such a pansy RAM IT IN, grindin is good and manly

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When it grinds it hurts my soft delicate hands though... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

ok i understand that entirely.
    my wife was very unimpressed with my calloused hands from a previous job, serious decrease in play time.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My question is, what gears does the back fork control?

I know the front one is on because the inspection plates are off and I can visually see it. The long one has to be on because I have reverse.

I can get it into 2nd and 3rd easily. It won't go into 1st all the way and not into 4th at all. Reverse goes in fine but doesn't come out easily. Before I pulled the cover it went in every gear fine (while on the floor)

Should I pull the cover again? I don't want to but if the consensus is yes, I'll do it.