Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why wont my kickdown work

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cootersk5, Jun 20, 2006.

1. cootersk5

cootersk5 Registered Member

I rebuilt my 700r4 in school and we tested it on the tranny dino. everything but my kickdown worked. so i took it apart and cleaned all the valves and i put a spring behind the kickdown valve. still doesnt work. do think there might be a passage blocked.

2. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

could be that the cable is stretched out too much. Maybe try getting a new one.... I think they are only 20 dollars or so through GM.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

700R4's don't have a kickdown cable. The downshift is controled by fluid pressure which is controlled by several factors.

4. cootersk5

cootersk5 Registered Member

it does have a cable its the detent cable but i checked it on the tranny while it was on the dino i just have no clue ive done tricks to it that tranny guys told me had them look at it and even they dont know

5. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

like 4x4high said, it's not a kickdown cable....its a TV or throttle valve cable.

Read more here...

http://www.tvmadeez.com/

6. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

hence the fact im going to a 4spd, i have owned 3 700R4's and i blew the third one up due to mis adjusting the TV cable, what a pain, they say never to screw with it but guess what, i did....haha but i almost had to because i installed a throttle body spacer so i kind of needed to because of the extra length that was needed
    LUKE

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Ive never heard the "never screw with the tv cable" thing before. I installed some spacers and a new intake and had to re-adjust the tv cable. Its not rocket science. Adjust it one way, drive it, and see what it does. If the problem gets worse....go the other way. Keep doing trial and error runs (usually about 5-7 runs for me) until you get it just right. Everyone knows about where the engine should shift according to rpm's and when it should kickdown....so adjust the tv cable until it shifts right. I did this to mine, and it has been fine ever since (2+ years ago).

Not messing with it may cause yours to blow up. Its obviously out of adjustment if it wont kickdown which means the main line pressure isnt right. That will fry the tranny. Mess with it some..see what it does.
    -Harrison