Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why wont my tranny shift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Nov 19, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I just finished my truck last night. Got all the wiring done and had it purring and the exhaust and everything was done. So I went to drive it around. Everything was fine then all of a sudden it would not shift out of first. I came to a stoplight with it in 3rd. Stopped and then when I went to leave that stop light it would not shift out of first what did I do? It is a 700r4 and everything was fine earlier. I have the detent cable hooked up and I tried loosening and tightening it and nothing made a difference. I checked the fluids tranny was a little low so we refilled it and still the same thing. T he fluid didnt looked dicolored and was not burnt. Please help??????????????????????????????? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It could be the govenor--I'm not that familiar with the 700R4,but the other automatics have a govenor that is gear driven by the tailshaft--its usually mounted under a round cover that has a wire bail on it,like your master cylinder,or it might just press in.If the govenor's nylon gear strips out,or the valve in it sticks,it wont shift out of first gear.Someone else here will probably be more helpful than me on the 700R4 trannys--but that is one possibility--low fliud level can make automatics act weird too,make sure its not low,or too high!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Can you fix that govenor? What would cause it just to fail?

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If its like the govenor in the other tranny's,you can change just the nylon gear if its stripped,if its stuck or sticking its usually best to just get another one out of another tranny at the boneyard.You can take them apart and clean them,but there are springs and other parts to deal with--not something you want to fool with really.It could be another problem altogether--I'd wait for another poster to give some advice before tearing into the govenor--as I said before my only experience with a 700R4 is pulling junk ones out and putting another one in--the TV cable can cause all kinds of grief if its not adjusted right--a few trucks we swapped trannys in we had to send to a tranny shop to adjust the cable properly--. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Can you get R N and P? Is the linkage ok?
    Check out www.tvmadeez.com article 101 for TV setting. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Yes I have park. I have nuetral and I have reverse. It just wont shift through the foward gears.

7. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Yes I have park. I have nuetral and I have reverse. It just wont shift through the foward gears. I can manually put the tranny in those gears but in 1rst, drive and overdrive it always starts in 1rst so that is right but it wont shift out of first once I get going /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I talked to oe of the tranny shops here in town (a very good guy by the way). He told me it sound slike my tv cable is just way out of adjustment. I also asked him about the govenor. He told me that the govenor is mainly for controlling down shifts not up shifts but it could get stuck in one gear causing it not to shift si I guess first I will be trying my detent cable and then It wil be tearing into the govenor if need be. God I love my truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the governer does control up shifts, sounds like they don't know what they are talking about.

sounds like the governver gear stripped. when they strip, it does not shift from first. even with the TV cable loose it will still upshift, just way too soon. only when its WAY too tight will it seem like its not upshifting. there is no way it can get tighter at a stop light.

the governer is very easy to remove and fix. there is a cover on the driver side near the rear. then the governer just pulls out. you could fix it your self with a $3 gear or get a new governer for $30.

there is only a roll pin holding the gear in and a valve that is moved by the weights.

let me know if i can help in anyway.

10. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Well I unhooked my detent cable and now it shifts even all the way to third. So what does that mean? I am thinking a new detent and see what happens?

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Well I unhooked my detent cable and now it shifts even all the way to third. So what does that mean? I am thinking a new detent and see what happens?

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT IS NOT A DETENT CABLE!!!!!!!!

That is your T/V cable!

Hook it back up and adjust it correctly before you toast that transmission. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

sounds like it might be the knock down, it its not hooked up ( mecanical) it wont shift not as sure with power knock down.