Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why won't new lockouts fit on my old axle??!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rotten03, Apr 21, 2004.

1. rotten03

rotten03 Registered Member

Why won\'t new lockouts fit on my old axle??!!

I'm going crazy here fellas. Since I decided to swap to 3/4 gear not a thing has gone right. I have a short time I'm on leave and i've been relying on the parts stores to get stuff for me instead of ordering it online and nothing has been right. Here's my problem now: The old hubs on the D44 were setup for a 203 transfer case. Well obviously I have to change them for my 89 Sub. I went and bought Manual Warn hubs for a 79 3/4 ton and the lockout doesnt fit onto the rotor. The diameter of where it should mate is wrong. What do I do? Do I have to replace the rotor or something? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Why won\'t new lockouts fit on my old axle??!!

The 3/4 ton and the 1/2 ton hub interior is the same. Take the old hub/slug that was on the 1/2 ton and compare it to the Warn. It the new is too big, then go back and ask for the 1/2 ton locking hubs.

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

So you are swapping a 79 D44 8 lug into your 89 Burban and you need new lockouts to replace the auto hubs? I believe Warn #9790 is the part number you need for the standard hubs. What part number did you get?

4. rotten03

[ QUOTE ]
    So you are swapping a 79 D44 8 lug into your 89 Burban and you need new lockouts to replace the auto hubs? I believe Warn #9790 is the part number you need for the standard hubs. What part number did you get?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one I got. My first thought was that the 1/2 ton lockout would fit but the bolt pattern was different on the two. The 1/2 ton had 5 bolts that held the cap onto the hub and the D44 had 6 holes. The 9790 has the right amount of bolt holes but the diameter of the cap and the D44 hub doesn't match up. I'm stumped.

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's the one I got. My first thought was that the 1/2 ton lockout would fit but the bolt pattern was different on the two. The 1/2 ton had 5 bolts that held the cap onto the hub and the D44 had 6 holes. The 9790 has the right amount of bolt holes but the diameter of the cap and the D44 hub doesn't match up. I'm stumped.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 9790 has 6 allen head bolts holding it to the aluminum inner hub. When you say "the 1/2 ton has 5 bolts" do you mean the auto hub? The 9790 hub is for 1/2 and 3/4 ton internal hubs, both D44 and 10 bolt as far as I know. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif You are replacing the entire hub, including the inner aluminum, right? Are you saying the 9790 is too large to fit in your D44?

6. Rob 85K5

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 9790 has 6 allen head bolts holding it to the aluminum inner hub. When you say "the 1/2 ton has 5 bolts" do you mean the auto hub? The 9790 hub is for 1/2 and 3/4 ton internal hubs, both D44 and 10 bolt as far as I know. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif You are replacing the entire hub, including the inner aluminum, right? Are you saying the 9790 is too large to fit in your D44?

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said???????????

7. rotten03

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm sayin. The 9790 is to large in diameter to mate up to my D44. What could cause that?

8. Rob 85K5

You're saying the aluminm inner hub will not fit in the hub. There should not be anything but the lock nuts on the spindle prior to installing this inner hub.

[​IMG]
    Nothing after #28 in the picture should be on the spindle before inserting the inner hub.

9. rotten03

I'm having a hard time explaining myself. The actual Warn hub is too small. The Warn Lock Out hubs fit inside the brake rotor hub assembly and will rest on a bearing race. Additionally, there are no inside splines for the Warn hub to engage in the traditional manner. Obviously they will neither fit nor function. Did the previous owner have to switch the rotor when he was running the 203 transfer case? Also if I can't fix this would it be possible to put the old full time lockouts that were on it and drive it and maybe take the front driveshaft out? I have to get this thing running by the middle of next week or i'm AWOL. Not to mention no one around here can get me U-bolts for the 14dff. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

10. Rob 85K5

Yes, you can put tht old hubs on and pull the d-shaft.
    Does the picture help?

The inner hub has a splined aluminum body and a metal splined inner ring. the aluminum fits into the hub splines and the inner rings splines fit the axle shaft.

Can you take a pic?

BTW NAPA can get the u-bolts for you.

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

A good temporary fix is to leave the drive flanges in until you can get the right parts later. It will not hurt anything but a little fuel economy to drive in 2wd with the front axle locked in (same as driving with the lockouts in the "lock" position).

Only thing is I can not picture your problem other than to think that the axle may not be a 1979 D44 but instead be from a pre '77 application with the small bearing spindle. Did the drive flange you removed have 6 external bolts or 6 small socket head screws like the new lockout?

[​IMG]

Notice the larger bolt pattern on the left lockout (part of the black piece). That is for the '76 and earlier 3/4 ton axles while the lockout on the right is for the '77-87(91) 1/2 and 3/4 tons.

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you've got an external hub and an internal rotor.

You can kinda see my external in this pic

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of some spicer external's from a ford. Same as the one of the chevy

[​IMG]

Out of curiosity, the old hubs, where they a big nice chrome cap, or a flange with a dust cap?

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A good temporary fix is to leave the drive flanges in until you can get the right parts later. It will not hurt anything but a little fuel economy to drive in 2wd with the front axle locked in (same as driving with the lockouts in the "lock" position).

Only thing is I can not picture your problem other than to think that the axle may not be a 1979 D44 but instead be from a pre '77 application with the small bearing spindle. Did the drive flange you removed have 6 external bolts or 6 small socket head screws like the new lockout?

[​IMG]

Notice the larger bolt pattern on the left lockout (part of the black piece). That is for the '76 and earlier 3/4 ton axles while the lockout on the right is for the '77-87(91) 1/2 and 3/4 tons.

[/ QUOTE ]

You and I are thinking along the same lines.....