Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why would I take out the sway bar?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by google, Jun 17, 2005.

1. google

google 1/2 ton status

I was reading the differences between rear spring and block lifts and found something that makes me have to ask. Why would you take out the sway bar when wheeling?

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

it gives you much better axle articulation. each tire can move indepently easier

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the job of the sway bar is to keep the axle as level to the body as it can. The idea of offroad articulation is the opposite, thats why.

4. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

I have a '72 that does not have a sway bar. That being said, I have some experience with sway bars on other cars.

Sway bars are very useful under cornering because it limits body roll. When going around a turn the outside suspension will compress (or bump) while the inside will want to unload (droop). A sway bar ties the sides together and resists twisting. So as the outside tires try to tuck that force is going to be distributed to the inside tires as well forcing them in the tucking direction. Simultaneously as the inside tires try to droop, that force is distributed to the outside tires resisting the tucking/compression/bumping movement. So the sway bar reduces body roll by resisting the inside tires downward movement in relation to the body, while resisting the outside tires upward movement in relation to the body. Some body roll still occurs as the sway bar twists. Want less body roll - get a sway bar that is stiffer (usually larger diameter). Anyone see where this is going?

Sway bars are designed to reduce articulation, as explained above. In desert racing, with trophy trucks and all that, body roll and high speed turns are a huge concern, so sway bars would seem very neccessary. With rock crawling, they are severly limiting.

Obviously I think I am right... but I don't have hands on experience with sway bars on a solid front axle - feel free to correct me

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

If you do crossover steering in front, your swaybar will no longer fit. If you stay with the stock steering setup, I'd leave it on and get some quick disconnects for it if you are a rock crawling type of wheeler. If you just trail ride, I'd just leave them on.

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I've left my swaybar on to help clear 37s with 2.5" lift.

That being said, eventually I may do crossover and move the axle forward with a 1" zero-rate. That will require disconnecting the swaybar, and I don't plan on shedding any tears.

I did a poll on this a while back and got a lot of response. Unfortunately when the forum was upgraded the poll disappeared, but you can see from the replies how a lot of people feel about keeping them. The poll was overwhelming for removing them. It was like 80+ for and 30+ against IIRC.

Click-->Sway-bar poll

7. google

google 1/2 ton status

You can move your axels forward???? Ok, I'm gunna hijack my own thread... How the heck do you do that?

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Longer front leaves will move ur axle forward but that requires custom spring hanger mounts etc. U can also get offset zero rates to fit between the axle and the spring that move it like 1.5" or something.

9. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I took my sway bat off of my 73 daily driver with 4" lift. this truck does not see high speeds. Only a few times have i took corners fast enough to be bothered by not having my sway bar. On the trails with 35 all terian tires i feel that my tires stay on the ground better than with the sway bars. Why would rock crawling or trail riding be better with a sway bar? I do notice when hauling heavy things that there is a difference with the sway bar gone.

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Sway bat? :haha:

Sorry couldn't resist. :surepal:

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I redrilled the spring perches and spring plates...moved my diff forward 1.25".

Rene

12. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

My truck rode soo much softer with the sway bar removed. With lift springs the sway bar is misaligned and will cause binding as the suspension moves up. You can eliminate that by running ORD's quick disconnects, the disconnects links move the sway bar up.

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you take it out, don't you loose trailering ability?

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think it depends on how soft the front springs are. I'd also think there wouldn't be much reason to remove the sway bar for a Tow rig. If it sees double duty, then I'd run disconnects.

Rene

15. Camorokkrwlr

Camorokkrwlr Registered Member

you left it on to help clear 37's????? :confused: a sway bar does nothing but control body roll

16. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

It limits articulation, therefore he doesn't run much. Although with the body damage he's been getting lately, I see a LOT of trimming in his future... :D

17. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

i've got a heavy ass diesel in the k5, and w/ 35's and no sway bar for the past year, i cant even tell its not there. it helps out a ton off road, and feels like a space ship on road around fast/hard corners.. feels cool.. just take it off, u'll love it