Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why would my exhaust smell like kerosene?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhog, May 6, 2004.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what would make my exhaust smell like kerosene? this is the second time it has happened to me /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i stinks bad /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif how do i make it stop?

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Where'd you get the gas from? There is a place in town that I can't get my gas from. It makes my truck run like crap and the fumes are REAL bad. If you didn't switch where you normally buy gas, then maybe yer carb needs adjusted a bit /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how do i make it stop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn off the ignition. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

some gas manufacture do add kerosene to the mixture... /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

5. mudhog

the carb is new ok well a few months old and i get my gas where ever i happen to be going by and have money and its cheap lol

6. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    some gas manufacture do add kerosene to the mixture... /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    any way if i could look up what brands do this?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its usually trial and error. Additive mixtures can be different depending on where you are. I know I work at an Amoco, my friend with an 86 short bed, if he runs our regular his little 305 stinks big time. My 305 did the samething on that fuel, but mine did it no matter what grade.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What grade did you put in? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

dude,my friends blazer used to stink bad like that...we never did figure it out.....

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Mine always smelled bad when I ran the QJet. Changed to a Holley, still smelled but not AS bad. Switched to my new Edelbrock, smells good in my opinion now. Food for thought. By the way if you want to list the carbs and how they ran, it went QJet, Holley, Edelbrock, Ebrock being the best.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

lol mine will randomly smell like wild onions. Usually out the pass side, but only like once a month or so, just like pull up in driveway let idle as ur walkin around inspecting and you may smell em. Or sittin at red light like omg that is awful. Just random though. Go figure.

12. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

A couple gallons of filtered (used) peanut oil in my IDI diesel used to make it smell good.

Kerosene? Got me there.
    -T

13. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i stinks bad /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif how do i make it stop?

[/ QUOTE ]

stop putting kerosene in the tank /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. mudhog

I'm running regular unleaded 87 octane at $2.09 a gal /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif with a edelbrock carb

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm running regular unleaded 87 octane at $2.09 a gal /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif with a edelbrock carb

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a tank of ARCO..............yes?

16. mudhog

actually i usually run arco and it don't smell then i think it was shell that did it /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

17. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

do a little research, you will find that most gasoline only comes from a few places. here in UT most of our fuel comes out of southern UT and WY, unless you buy that 7-11 crap,AKA kerosine and ditchwater. try to stay with a reputible manufacturer; mobil, shell, arco, is here to and their fuel is refined locally and its good stuff, try a web seach and check contents. now that I think about it their was a problem about 6-7 years ago when a major fuel distributer accidently mixed diesle and regular, and sent it out. thats how we determined what vehicles were running on it. kerosine smell in the exhaust, killed alot of electric fuel pumps too. My advice find a mobil distributer and stick with it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes this is true, most gasoline is generic but at the loading stations for the tankers there are additives for each companies fuel. They add their additives and pump it into the truck. Sometimes trucks get different companies additives, it happens. In the end, the differences in brands of gasoline are a lot smaller than people like to think. I chuckle a little when people claim they get like 5mpg better on our Amoco gasoline. My boss loves to claim Amoco fuel is so amazing and clean and whatever.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

We had a lot of trouble a few years ago in our area when cumberland farms was selling gasahol (gasoline+methanol) without it saying so on the pump--it melted a lot of foam carb floats and the accelerator pumps,and loosened up all the gunk in the fuel system and plugged filters.There were also some car fires blamed on the gasahol leaking through old neoprene fuel line hoses also.Sounds like you got a batch of diesel fuel mixed in with your gas.I accidently filled 2 of my vehicles years ago during the last fuel crisis with diesel(I was wondering why that particular pump had no customers waiting--at the 10 dollar mark it came to me like a flash:different color pump and nozzle size /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.)The second time I didnt realize it until I got about 5 miles up the interstate,and my car started pinging and shutting down after the gas pedal was more than 1/4 of the way down--and I thought I had blown both head gaskets there was so much white smoke!.I was REAL late for work thar day--barely limped home on backroads and spent the morning draining my tank! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif