Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why would ya lift a 2wd?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jeremy_C, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I dont mean to offend anybody or anything, i"m just wonderin about this. I know a feller, and I've never really paid any attention to his truck other then thinkin it was a 4x4 ford. Well, we got to talking an its a 2wd, with a lift kit an a body lift. It sets higher then my 4x4. He's got mud tires, roll bar an is talkin about gettin a winch.

My question, is first why would you lift a 2wd?? The money he spent on all those poser upgrades he could have a capabile 4x4........Just wondering...... :confused:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Nice.... :grin:

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's a desert thing, you hillbillies don't understand :D

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I had a kid tell me his 2wd would go anywhere my 4x4 K5 would. He just needed a running start. I invited him crawling. :D

Only 2 reasons I see, to go really fast(baja style, more suspension travel), or to just be a show piece.

99% of the lifted 2wds are show pieces.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

True, but he wouldn't have any money left over to make the 4x4 a poser.

Obviously, he is into the look and not the sport. Same category as a Honda Civic with a 3 foot high wing. He probably hasn't done a thing to it mechanically... I would have to guess he's not the only one to do it if he was able to purchase a lift kit for a 2wd...

6. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Not too many sand dunes in East Tennessee, You Badge wearin Ballerina :D lol

Rough country sells'em.....what got me thinking about it. I just dont understand it. I'd say your right about the civics, same principle.

7. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Because it's what I had at the time. My 2wd gets me around the streets and to the trail, my 4wd takes me from there.

[​IMG]

It looks better then when it was riding around on 235/75x15's. I built mine when I was stationed out in San Diego, always taking the bikes out to the desert. Now that I'm in N. FL it doesn't leave the pavement much. It doesn't go crawling, and it doesn't go mudding. It tows, and drives me around everyday without a problem.

I don't understand why dudes lower trucks, or build ricers/Jap crap. But, to each their own.

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, THAT seems a bit silly to me -- a winch is not so handy in desert sitches, imho, where the 2WD would be desirable. If he had fiberglass fenders and big AT's or some sand-happy tire, I could see him claiming it's a pre-runner.

There was a guy at work here who is a major poser ... had a 4Runner he dumped all kinds of money into. Now he has an Avalanche ... as an example, he just had all the cladding removed, Rhinolined, and reinstalled. :screwy: And he doesn't turn a freakin' wrench on the thing himself... course, he can't, as it's like 7' tall and he's maybe only 5' even :haha:

He CLAIMS the thing is an off-road vehicle, but he shines it every week and I am reasonably sure it never ventures off the pavement as far as, say, a dirt road -- might scratch the pretty thing! :doah:

For what he spent on lifting that thing alone, I did lift, tires, winch, etc to my Blazer... I just don't get it. That kinda stuff is the antithesis of Built Not Bought.

</rant>

That said, I'd like to run a SLIGHTLY larger tire on my 2WD pickemup, so a ~2" lift would be kinda nice. Not nice enough that I'm willing to pay $$ to do anything to the IFS, though :D When this set wears down some I'll get me some nice load range E's and be done with it.

-- A

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

At least I can drive for an hour in a straight line at highway speeds without leaving my jurisdiction :D

10. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I don't know about people that put alot of money in a lifted 2by but know a few that are cheap and do lift blocks in the rear and a body lift then maybe coil spring spacers in the front. A little trimming and get 33 or 35's. Weld the rear up then you can go to alot of fishing holes and other places that could not get to other wise. I will asume that tennesse is about like georgia with alot more hills. Just don't get to extreme and this setup will take you alot of places. Alot of the time you can find 2bys pickups dirt cheap unlike 4bys. Just remember alot of the coon hunters that put big tires on the back of thier truck to get around a little better in the woods. :)

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Not in So Cal.

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Well I have a 96 C-1500 and it would not bother me one bit if it was a little taller. I really don't like how the front end sit's so much lower than the rear. Maybe some day I might do a 3" in the front and a 1" in the rear to level it out. A set of 31" AT's with a selectable locker would make it more usefull for My needs. To me it would just make a more usefull vehicle for My needs. No I would not wheel it, it would just help out in those stuck situations.

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I don't know, I'd guess at least half of those Trust Fund Trucks never see the dirt either. I know of one owner who was horrified at the suggestion of taking his off pavement. Nicely set-up truck too, would've worked well. I'm just waiting for the 'pre-runner' fad to die. Then I can buy a nicely built truck for pennies on the dollar.

14. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One reason is less drive-train parts to break. Of course, if you stuff it hard, you break something else. You just have plan on where you are going to avoid getting into trouble. I do admit it easier to get stuck, but I gotten stuck in 4WDs just the same. Some places are easier to wheel than others. I off-road my Toyoda at Pismo all the time, but the one time I wheeled in the mountains, the truck didn't work too well.

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i would do it if i had a clean one for a DD.

i am talking modest like 2-3 inch so it looks nice, big lift is for posers really

16. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

That's why I have mine.

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

and i dont blame you .

we all like the look of 4x4s but dont all need them all the time.

at least you dont look like this guy: lol :haha:

18. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

If they are never ever going to take it off pavement, why spend the extra money on a 4x4?

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, that's a reason I could see also, levelling out the truck.

20. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

You can wheel a 2wd I suppose. With a Detroit and a winch.

Why conform....do whatever ya' want. Screw the crowd.