Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

why would you...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Oct 28, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

choose cross-over-steering versus hydro assist or vice versa? what makes one better than the other in a given situation?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

You shouldn't run hydro assist without crossover.

Crossover allows you to steer either direction as the suspension cycles because the draglink is much longer. The stock steering setup can keep you from turning one way or the other when the suspension is flexed.

Hydro assist greatly increases your steering power and allows you to turn when the tires are bound up.

3. colbystephens

cool. i was just going to ask why you wouldn't run them together - so that makes sense. apparently i just missed that little bit everytime i read about it and didn't make the connection between the two...

4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

I've chosen to go with ORD Crossover steering only. I only run MUD and not the rocks. I don't see any advantage to going hi-steer or hydro assist especially with running 39.5 TSL's on 10" lift. Had I decided to build a bigger rig running 44+ yeah, I'd prolly choose hydro with high steer. Yes, getting everything up and outta the way seems nice but is it really necessary for a MUD truck? I don't know enough about Chevy's steering issues to say crossover isn't enough. I figure beefing up the tie rod with the crossover is a good thing to do too.

Manny

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Price is a good factor. When I did my crossover, I had next to no money. I wouldn't mind going hydro assist, since my truck is street driven, can't go full hydro. So far I haven't really needed anything more....

6. colbystephens

hydro assist would be more important for a rig w/a front locker, no?

7. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Big time. Hydro assist/full hydro is very beneficial to any serious 4WD IMO. I did mine for less than $100 (search for a thread by kidJethro).

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have crossover from ORD and a welded front. I can drive it while offroad fairly easy but there have been times when I got a wheel in a rut and could not turn even with crossover. That is where Hydro Assist comes in. If I had my assist on instead of in the garage I could have gotten out of this
    P1010012.JPG

and not done this:D
    P1010007.JPG

P1010020.JPG

Ira

P1010012.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010020.JPG

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i run both on my k5 on the street and i love it. u just gatta be patient some times, dont expect rapid steering