Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why wouldn't you weld your front Dana60 spiders?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Jul 31, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Why wouldn\'t you weld your front Dana60 spiders?

I've been shopping for a cable/air/elec locker for my front Dana60 for a while now and I'm not exactly sold on any one of them yet. Another post got me to thinking about welding the spiders and being done with it. The first obvious concern is turning but if you unlock one of the hubs then your back to 3 wheel drive anyhow (like open) and unlock both hubs and your driving on the street with no issues (even better with a part time 203 as the driveshaft doesnt move either). I could see where a limited slip would be nice but weak, and a straight locker would be nice but expensive. Any thoughts?

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Re: Why wouldn\'t you weld your front Dana60 spiders?

Only drawback I can see with the welded gears would be turning. Unlocking the hubs would be one way to solve it, and hydro-assist steering would help too. I have a detroit in mine, and it's hard to turn. My buddy welded his front for the same reasons you want to do it. He has twin sticks on the 205, so he just puts it into 2low to turn.

The only drawback I can see over the others is that the weld will have to be strong to put up with the abuse compared with a new carrier setup you get with the lockers, and you don't have the option of an open front like an ARB or cable locker. BUT, welded gears are a heck of a lot cheaper than all that other stuff.

I personally hate limited slips in the front, b/c they seem to slip right when you need them to work the most. Just my .02 though.

BIGJ

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I dont think it would turn.
    you could have the tires pointed to full lock and it will still travel straight.
    when my powerlok was fresh that is how it acted.
    had to unlock the hubs to steer.
    shop that did the install had me go out to a wide open space and keep working it back n forth until it would steer.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't a locker be the same problem on the trail? It's rare that I want to turn without accellerating while climbing so it would act the same, descent would be a bit more tricky though... still, might be bearable.

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I'd say go ahead weld it and twin-stick it. if you like the results keep it. if not replace it with a locker, you were gonna do it anyway.
    even then the locker will give you the same results while turning, unless you get some type of manual locking type mechanism(air/cable/hydro/etc) to engage/disengage it.

ARQ.

6. steve85fla

steve85fla Registered Member

I spooled my front, and it DOES NOT STEER!. I have to unlock one side to drive even on dirt roads. A spool is the same as welding, locks both axles together

7. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Yea, try not to do it (I won't tell you NOT to do it). I had a '68 J**p Commando w/a dana 27 that I was planning on replacing w/a dana 44, so I welded it for the weekend. Even withone hub unlocked, it pulled REALLY hard to the locked side. My .04$ worth (sorry, inflation) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

My 51 was welded and the thing was a pain to turn on the rocks, BUT.... that thing wheeled like there was no tomorrow /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

it'll be hard to turn if you have the rear axle engaged. your rear will tend to push you in a strait forward dirrection. even with one hub unlocked you'll get the feeling your gonna go strait forward, actually you will.

with the twinstick you can disable the rear and just drag it. engage your front, turn the wheels were you want to go and punch it /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

I did notice a difference when i plowed the back yard with my blazer and had to make some sharp turns with only the front engaged. i dont have it locked up front but did notice a slight sharper turning radius.

a front locker will do the same unless you go with an air/cable/hydro activated one. I would do it cause it's free. except for the oil.
    I did it to my 14ff. a detroit is pricy, i was still gonna replace the spider gears anyhow. but now the hay with it, I y-more locked it /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

ARQ.

10. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I considered welding my front spiders, but I reconsidered after I saw a friend of mine break hub after hub with his welded D60 front and big block 460 (it was a F*rd). Plus, his truck wouldn't turn for crap. It pushed straight ahead. I don't know what tires you're running or your driving style, but I've had good results out of my Lock Rite. I'm running 39.5 TSLs with a mild 355 and its held up fine. 79Beast has a similar setup with 44 TSLs and he just had to upgrade his stubshafts with D70 units because the old stubs had twisted splines, with no damage to the Lock Rite. Just a thought. I think the ultimate setup would be an OX Locker, though.

Will

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You hit upon the one part of this that truly bothers me and thats the hubs. I'm running 38.5x16 TSL's on 30 spline outers and pushing it with a 415ci (stroked 400), breakage is more of a concern than poor steering characteristics (which I'm not down playing, just trying to figure out if I can live with it on the trail). As for the LockRite, they advertise them for light trucks only, even though they have a Dana60 model available so breakage might still be an issue, but at $350 its tempting. The Trac Lock is $400 but recommended for light duty as well and the Detroit Locker is $600 which is where I figured early on that I'd be (similar spool characteristics with the turning push under throttle?). the OX locker is what I had chosen but after hearing the Dana60 price of $1600... yeah. All that, and I'm back to running an open diff wondering what more I want and what other expenses I can count on.. sounds like any locked option will require 35 spline outers and new hubs.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

a locker will still allow one tire to overspeed the ring gear under power, so no welded differs

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    sounds like any locked option will require 35 spline outers and new hubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

why?
    they make an Ox for a 60? when and where?

"poor steering" is not what will occur. no steering is what occurs. tires at full left or right lock result in straight vehicle travel.

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Shaggy said he called Drivetrain Direct about the Ox locker for the D60, they said it should be available in a couple of months and they are preselling them for... are you ready for this? $1500

The larger tires and big torque will make my hubs the weak point, but upping to the 35 spline outers and 35 spline hubs would help.

As for steering, a locker under full left or right lock has a tendancy to do the same, doesn't it?

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

tendency I would say yes, but the degree is worlds apart according to guys that run front detroits.
    ask Reddwarf as he runs lockrites front and rear and claims it steers great, no one with welded front will claim 'steers great'

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

M.J.'s correct. Welding the spiders together has the same effect (as long as the welds don't break) as installing a spool (both axles turn the same RPM regardless of input, terrain, etc). With a detroit or loc-rite, the automatic locking mechanism allows for "over-run", meaning if there is minimal power being applied and cornering, the inside wheel should disengage. Notice the word should, as it is important. There are times where an automatic locker will lock both wheels together, giving you the same feel and handling as a welded diff, but it does have the ability to unlock and steer better. You still won't turn as sharp as an open diff in most instances, but you should still be able to corner better than if the spiders were welded.

17. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Good point! If this was a rock only rig, I think I'd do it.. but there is quite a bit of desert around here... I'm back to looking at lockers! Thanks for your help!