Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Why you non-rustbelters should appreciate your sheetmetal

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CyberSniper, Jun 6, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was tearing apart the K5 yesterday and found some pretty bad rust that even eclipses the fact that the rockers are GONE as in not there. I was going to yank the rear rollbar out until I found that the rollbar is what was keeping the bedsides from falling over to the driver side. I guess I'll have to remove the top before the rollbar or I could have a real big mess when the fiberglass hits the ground...

[​IMG]

2. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Have'nt seen anything like that since I lived in Mass. 20 years ago!

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Holy Smokes! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. CyberSniper

What do you think of these rockers? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

and yet I love snow?? my 85 has plenty of rust in the same area, thankfully it doesn't reach as far into the bed as yours.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i found similar rust in my 81 K30 yesterday while cutting it up. i pulled the floor insulation out, and saw what appeared to be a bondo covered floor. it was real wavy, like someone had just done a quick skim over it. i touched it, and it moved. so i picked it up. when i did so i picked up the original paint, and a thin layer of rusty metal, and left the cab support and framerail exposed. oh well, saved me some work and a sawzall blade. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i been trying to tell californians and southerners for years hat they are some lucky SOB's but i just dont think theyll ever understand very much, i dont think they really have any idea what rust is... still.
    missing rockers doesnt scare me or get my attnetion at all, its nothing new, is quite common, used ot it, what scares me is if the rockers are intact and if there are any bottoms to fenders and any arches left at all on anything older than mid 90's

and personally i totaly hate rain snow ice and of course rust and salt also so i need to live in a desert somewhere down in the south west some day somehow, thats where i would be suited best as far as living, im not sure exactly what areas downt here would be dry and hot like i would want.

dream*

oh well,

good luck

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

the sad part is that people keep "exporting" all the good metal back to the snow belt..... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Whats that brown stuff all over your truck and why is your floor missing? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I love living in the dezert, ive had shock hoops on my truck for 6 months with no paint and they dont even show a hint of rust.

10. CyberSniper

Nice thing about living in the rust belt is that given enough time, mother nature trims your fenders for you.

I can't imagine living somewhere where it doesn't snow. I don't think I could handle living in a place where there weren't 4 distinct seasons (even though spring and fall last about two weeks here).

[​IMG]

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif No need for a sawzall /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

12. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

WOW!!! Nice natural cutting job... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

Rust? i dont know anything about that. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I think its a Black Label Society song.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't imagine living somewhere where it doesn't snow. I don't think I could handle living in a place where there weren't 4 distinct seasons (even though spring and fall last about two weeks here).

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's one reason I moved from florida! Can't stand having summertime all year long w/ 3 days of winter. Nice fenders by the way /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Dude....I'd shoot it just to put it out of it's misery. Then turn it into a Truggy

16. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Pfffffffffftt... Nothing a little duct tape and spray foam cant fix /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I have one small hole in a fender, one tiny hole in a rocker panel, a cab support with some mainly cosmetic rustthrough and some bubbling on a couple spots on the cab. Around here people say that it's a total rustbucket. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

18. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

thats preaty bad, the floor on my dads blazer moves 2 inches when you step on it. its almost like the carpet is the only thing holding it together.

that rocker panel looked a little worse than my k20 and about the same as my k10. it seems like the drive side is always worse than the pass side. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. CyberSniper

I didn't like being in it when we towed it home. There is no gas tank there to save me from getting run over by the rear tires like there is on my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The floor itself isn't too bad. It isn't like my truck where the floor rotted from the inside out.

The cab supports are gone though. In the front the floor is holding the tub up. There is a whole bunch of wires pinched too.

I'm just glad I never intended to try to fix it. I have a 87C10 with a not-too-bad cab that I plan on putting on the frame.

20. CyberSniper

That's exactly what one of the POs were thinking... there is some spray foam in some spots (probably to keep critters out and keep noise at bay) and there was duct tape holding the outside door skin to the inner door skin and you can still see remnants from taping the rear window shut.